All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Bottle Propping

Last night my husband and I went to dinner at a local restaurant and were seated across from a lovely small family. They had a daughter and a CUTE baby boy. They had his car seat safely cradled into the baby carrier they were offered by their server.

My husband and I gazed longingly at him as we talked about the hope of conceiving again. What would we name a baby if we had a boy? Of course, we do want another boy, but a girl would be fine too. I loved it when I asked him what name he'd want for a boy, because it was the SAME name I had contemplating for quite some time now.

We looked over again to see the baby begin to coo for his parents, but the server was taking their order. Precious baby boy began to fuss and his mommy went over to give him a bottle. Now I am not opposed to bottle feeding at all, but what I saw broke my heart. This boy had to have been just about 3 months old and she attempted to PROP the bottle. Not only did this break myheart to see her do this, but I was convicted at the same time. I used to do the same thing to my children. Shame on me.

It was at that moment that I decided that I would never do that again. The baby's daddy finally picked him up and finished feeding him and mommy cut all of daddy's dinner into bite sized pieces so he could enjoy his meal while baby enjoyed his. That was something I had never seen before. They came to a compromise in helping each other in the task of making baby's meal more enjoyable too.

I spoke to my husband about this after we left and he wondered why I was so enamered with this situation. I told him that after losing 3 to miscarriage I would LOVE to be able to feed any one of my babies. I have missed out on ever feeding them and experiencing the bonding that takes place when your infant knows you are providing their very essence of life. I told him that if God were to bless us with another child, I would not ever do that again.

If you are a mother or father who has ever propped a bottle, please take a moment to reflect upon the time you are missing in developing a special bond with your infant. You'll never get those days back ever again.

3 kind words:

Digging for Pearls December 8, 2007 at 9:59 AM  

I had a miscarriage before we had our first son. I always wanted a daughter, and had a name picked out. I always wonder if I will meet her in heaven someday.

Courtney December 8, 2007 at 8:22 PM  

I must say, I have propped the bottle up. But it is not something I did regularly. I agree, feeding time is such a special time between you ( or whoever is feeding) and the baby and before you know it, they off eating solids.

Sisterlisa December 9, 2007 at 9:15 PM  

Jodie, I believe that you WILL see her in heaven. I have three up there. :O)

Courtney, then before we know it they're off to college. :O(

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP