All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, January 25, 2008

HOTM- Friday meme "Light the Fire"

Today is Heart of the Matter's Friday Meme and they shared this quote:

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."- William Butler Yeats

I think it's interesting that this question was asked today, because just yesterday my daughter Jess and I lived out this quote.

I allowed her to see a film for the first time just a few weeks ago. My children fell in love with the film and watched it numerous times! (With supervision of course) I won't say what the film is just yet and you'll know why by the time you're done reading this.

Jess and Moni received a wonderful keyboard for Christmas and they desperately want to learn to play the music from this film. The film was first an opera production and the music is phenominal!

One thing I didn't like though, was that some of the lyrics leave my soul feeling unsettled. When I tenderly mentioned this to Jess, she agreed whole heartedly! I had alluded to the fact that it somehow reminded me of how one of the characters reminded me of someone from the Bible and his role in our lives. Again, she agreed with me. Now I 'could' have had a sit down lecture with her, filling her pail, with 'information', but instead the Holy Spirit prompted me to light the fire.

We had a long drive yesterday to go see family since Nana had passed, and on the drive she passionately wrote for six hours about this film/soundtrack and how it pertains to scripture in the fact that the story line illustrates the relationship between man and God. She listened to the CD and pulled out the beautiful love story of the Holy Spirit's role in the trinity to draw lost souls to the Savior.

Jess is composing this beautiful commentary for her readers at her blog, From the Pages of My Heart. Jess and I both agreed that this project she has taken on reminded us of the interpretation SuperAngel gives of the story line of Superman. There are several films in which we can see the image of God and how He works in our lives today. Jess asked me if the composer of the music realized that there is a spiritual connection to his message. It was then that I explained to her that no matter how much Hollywood wants to deny Christ, everything in this world is about the battle in the heavenlies over the lives of mankind. Stories of good versus evil have been around since time began and it all comes from scripture. (I'm not saying which opera she is working on yet, please stay tuned for further developments. You may post a reply here with a contact link where I can update you when it's ready.)

Have you ever discussed the literary aspects of film in relation to the Bible with your children? Do you light the fire or fill the pail? How do you practice fanning that flame?

You can see more contributions to HOTM's Friday Meme, and past meme's, here.

Please be sure to add your Homeschool Blog banner to HOTM's Top 100 list today! If you don't have a banner to add and would like to order one, you can order one from me at half price ($2.50) when mentioning this entry in your e-mail. So hurry up and contact me today!

**The post below has a giveaway!!!!**

5 kind words:

EEEEMommy January 25, 2008 at 9:46 AM  

Intriguing!
You're right that honest conversation and discussion is much more effective than lectures. It's inspiring to hear that she's so responsive! :)

rural momma January 25, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

One thing that the Lord has been working on me with is to be slow to speak and quick to listen. I have found that when I lecture the kids, they can shut me off. Yes, they appear to be listening but many times their ears are closed. When I listen to them and allow the Holy Spirit to minister, then it becomes something that they receive joyfully. :0)

Great insightful post!! :0)

lori January 25, 2008 at 4:41 PM  

Hey girl...I just did a presentation at church to some 7th and 8th graders called JAM (Jesus and Media...) it's real and I think as adults we need to allow our children to sit WITH us and listen to them and TALK...it's amazing what they can discern, if we'll listen the Holy Spirit can reveal so much to them and us!!!

I love that about them getting older...the opportunities to LIGHT THE FIRE!!!
hugs,
lori

Kysha January 25, 2008 at 6:29 PM  

I'm trying to ignite the fire, girlfriend. Great post!

Heart of Wisdom January 26, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

Great post. I'm sorry I missed this meme.

Now I have to find and listen to the song. My sons love Superman and the the song.

I found you one Heart of the Matters Top 100. Glad to meet you and I'll be browsing your blog.

Blessings,
Robin
http://heartofwisdom.com/blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP