All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tips and Tricks Meme

Heart of the Matter hosts a Friday meme each week and last week was a BLAST! There are so many wonderful tips and I'm sure there are many I could suggest, but for me personally I find that being sure my children are self-disciplined in their daily life is our highest priority. When I know my children are happy, well adjusted, respectful young people, they learn much better and absorb so much more information than they would through anger and frustration. (Not that my kids are awful terrors, but they are still dealing with 'some' frustrations from when they were in school. **Note: When bringing kids home from years of school, be patient.)

I find that I spend more time helping them through counseling than any other topic/subject. Once they can get through their struggle, they learn in vast amounts and in large leaps and bounds. They long for moments whem mom can sit and talk to them about any topic at all. They love learning History and Social Studies through sit down talks with mom, dad, aunts, uncles, and grandparents that in any other manner.


We recently had my In-Laws for a visit and they had previously visited Yellowstone National Park and prepared their lesson for them.




My children are such social little creatures that any kind of relationship learning they can do goes a long way. They had a video presentation of their travels as well as maps and brochures.
Their lesson began at the dining room table on their laptop, then moved to the table top for maps, and then to the television for their very own footage. ;O)



They loved the maps and all the stories Non and Poppop told them about their travels.


Non made sure to keep their attention.

She held a captive audience.

I'm not sure my kids ever paid this much attention when they were enrolled in school.

This was a fun, hands on lesson.

Especially because they brought souveniers.

That very night, believe it or not, the Travel Channel had a segment on, none other than, Yellowstone National Park. :O) We sat down and watched it as a family and we all agreed that Non and Poppop's lesson far surpassed the Travel Channel!


Even dad got in on the action. (bottom left)

A very special thank you to Non and Poppop, for our Geography lesson.

13 kind words:

PeakmoreAcademy January 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM  

LOVE LOVE it!!! What a fabulous family learning moment! What a memory for all involved. I loved the photos you shared. The Yellowstone learning sounds truly delightful. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca January 18, 2008 at 2:47 AM  

wow. That really is incredible. I am just starting in out in the homeschooling arena but...what I wouldn't give to have a set of parents not only be SUPPORTIVE but actually PARTICIPATE and ENCOURAGE! Wowza. My husband and I are met with concern and disdain.

You are VERY blessed, as are your children! That is JUST fabulous!

~Java Mama~ January 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM  

Wow, that is amazing! How blessed are you. That is a great idea to involve the whole family I am going to keep this in mind.

Have a great day

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

lori January 18, 2008 at 4:34 AM  

Last Christmas the kids had done studies on Christmas traditions around the world....when my parents came, they presented them each on a different night...they prepared the food (with help) and it was a BLAST!!
We forget to ask those around us...
We are blessed to have the support even if our parents aren't next door....
LOVE the idea...
I have to do it more often...even with our older neighbors!!
Have a great one,
hugs,
lori

Sara Mincy January 18, 2008 at 5:20 AM  

OK- I love this idea!!!! Great stuff

Homeschool Help Web January 18, 2008 at 7:00 AM  

Oh, how fabulous - learning time and quality family time all wrapped up into one!

Rachel January 18, 2008 at 7:25 AM  

I love it!! And as I had mentioned before, my parents just moved into the house behind me so I am so encouraged by this post!!

Can I just say that you have the most BEAUTIFUL family?!?

Thanks for the encouragement!
Love in Christ
Rachel
http://keeptheway-christianacademy.blogspot.com/

Katherine January 18, 2008 at 12:49 PM  

I love your tips as well as the wonderful pictures. You have a wonderful looking family! And it's amazing to see extended family helping!

Katherine

Tina January 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

I love momments like these and I whole heartly agree! :o)

~Tina

Heidi,  January 18, 2008 at 3:09 PM  

That was great - - thanks for sharing!! : )
It is SO nice when those kinds of learning moments kinda land in your lap.
Thanks!

Christina January 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

How wonderful to have such supportive in-laws!
Thanking God for them...
~Christina

Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home October 31, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

I love seeing the grandparents teaching–how cool!

Berry Patch October 31, 2008 at 1:56 PM  

How awesome! It's always more fun when you hear it first hand. The kiddos look like they are certainly enjoying it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP