All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sign Langauge as a Second Language

In homeschooling we want to be sure our children learn another language an living in California the most ideal language to learn is Spanish. However the Lord has opened the door to learn Sign language. Since I have signed for the deaf in my church for 10+ years it makes sense to teach my children Sign language.

-For those of you who desire to learn sign language this site is a very good start and was designed for the homeschooling family. It's Life Print and they have very good information available.

-In addition to this I would see if your local library or school supply store has any sign language videos. Be aware though, that baby signing is not the same as learning sign language. If you desire for your wee ones to learn sign language some day you will want to teach them real sign language.

We are blessed to have deaf friends who also teach us and are so kind and patient with my girls as they learn. I am excited that they want to learn!

-Another tip would be to sit in the deaf section of your church. If you already have a deaf ministry I would sit where you can easily see the interpretor. You can ask if your church will be offering a class as well.

-You can also check with your local library or Barnes and Noble(Or Borders) book stores. Sometimes these locations will have a deaf story time available.

I will be hosting a film discussion at Apples of Gold in the near future, covering the Hallmark Hall of Fame film, 'Sweet Nothing in My Ear'. Their website says that it's now available on DVD at your local Hallmark store. If you desire to be a part of our discussion you'll want to purchase the DVD and watch it ASAP.

I'll be sharing more about sign language here from time to time. I hope that this has been helpful to you.

If you currently teach sign language in your homeschool let me know!
How long have you been teaching it?
How many children are you teaching and what are their ages?
Are you involved in a deaf ministry through your school or homeschool co-op?



The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

7 kind words:

Beckie May 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

Thank you for sharing :) We also are working on ASL as a second language, we LOVE Signing Times as a fun way to learn.

Martha May 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM  

Great post!!

Here's a suggestion, check out your community event calendar or ask around... deaf people tend to have a 'social gathering' on certain days of the month.

Where I live, us deafies meet every 3rd Friday of the month at the Mall and every 4th Friday of the month at Starbucks.

It is a great place to interact with hard-of-hearing and deaf people. It is also a great opportunity to invite them to church!!

Good luck and awesome message!

Sisterlisa May 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

Martha, thank you for sharing this with us. (Martha is one of my dearest deaf friends)

Martha, what could a hearing person do to be sure she is welcomed into such a group?

Would she be considered an outsider?

Should she have a deaf friend to attend with her?

Is it considered rude by the deaf when a hearing person watches them sign? (kind a like eavesdropping?)

Silvia May 19, 2008 at 9:36 AM  

Great ideas! Thanks for sending it to the CoH.

sunniemom May 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

ASL is easy- Deaf culture- now THAT'S hard.

I have been a volunteer interpreter at our church, but currently I am taking a break from it to focus on supporting parents who are interested in home education. My kids (19, 11, 9, and 6) know quite a bit- it comes in handy when I need to communicate with them across a room.;)

Miss Elizabeth June 4, 2008 at 6:29 AM  

Hello,

I read about this article on Jocelyn's blog and I thought I should stop by.

I've been teaching myself ASL for 2 1/2 years and LOVE it. I have used a couple of different programs over time. I have used ASlpro.com, Signs for His Glory, Signing Naturally, A Basic Course in ASL, and the Getting Started in Signing (CD-ROM). I definitely recommend this one!! I also have used a few other books.

By just using some of these programs I am able to sign all the songs in our church. I have even been asked to sign songs on stage. Next year for school (11th grade), I am planing on taking classes at the American School for the Deaf in CT (that's were I live).

Well anyway...thank you for this wonderful article!!

I am excited to read more...

-Miss Elizabeth

LisaShaw November 17, 2008 at 12:07 PM  

LisaB,

First time to this site. Nice blog! When I can I visit AGMinistries. I have been interested in learning sign language. I will read all your articles here on that and then move from there.

God bless.
Lisa Shaw

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP