All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sign Language Lesson One: Fingerspelling

Today's lesson will begin with learning the alphabet. You'll want to practice an hour every day.

Download the Fingerspelling Chart and print it out.

Assignment:
-Practice the alphabet song with fingerspelling. Don't worry about not knowing the sign words to the song, just practice the letters.
-Practice fingerspelling your entire name. First, middle, and last. Go slow. There's no rush or race to see who signs the fastest.
-Practice fingerspelling each of your family members first names.
-Practice fingerspelling the names of your pets and extended family members.

Tips:
-When you fingerspell you don't want your lips to be saying each letter. You want your lips to be saying the name/word while you're fingerspelling.
- Have each family member chose a name of the family to fingerspell without using their voice. It's important to be able to read fingerspelling as well.
- Practice in front of the mirror.
- Hand and finger movements should be exact to what you see on the chart. Some people have difficulty with the letters E and C. The E must have the tips of your fingers touching the thumb. Do not allow the thumb to lower, disconnecting them from your fingers. That will be read as a C by a deaf person.
- The letter K and P are very similar. K is upwards, while P is downwards.

Research:
- Find out if your local library or bookstore has a deaf story time and plan to go to the next one! Be sure to come back and let me know that you found out when and blog about your experience. Come back and share your link with us.

- See if your library has a sign language book and go check it out. Let me know which book you got.

Further Study:
Read through my previous posts about sign language.

Extra Credit:
If you'd like to share a video about your home class on sign language share the link in the comment section. Only family friendly blogs will be approved through moderation. When Jessica was 3 1/2 we video taped her interpreting the letters I signed to her. I'm working on getting that from my Father-In-Law so I can share it here.




The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

5 kind words:

Cristina M. May 29, 2008 at 3:46 PM  

Hello,
I started sign language with my girls, too. Do you do it for fun or you have something else in mind?

Sisterlisa May 29, 2008 at 6:02 PM  

Well, I interpret for the deaf in our church, and if my girls become efficient then we can begin to have deaf teens come for the youth services and my girls can interpret. Jess already does quite well she just needs to get more comfortable talking to the deaf before she'll get confident in interpreting. I have every confidence in her to interpret now.

For homeschoolers who wish to enter a college that requires a second language, SL is an official language so it counts for those language credits.

Cristina M. May 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

Thanks for the reply. It is very good that the girls get to practice "live" not just the lessons from a book. Unfortunately we don't know anybody who is deaf so we will advance a little harder.

Thanks for telling me that SL is considered a official language, I was wondering that, we mostly do it for fun.

I'll continue to enjoy your blog,

Cristina

Christina May 30, 2008 at 7:03 AM  

My mom used to take(SEL)classes when I was little and was 'forced' to go along! She later began teaching classes herself. Little did I know how much that I would learn.
We then took in deaf foster children who all signed (ASL). Wow! That was different.

I remember teaching my older daughter so many signs as a baby. (Maybe that's why she talked & READ sooooooo early!)

Needless to say... it's like any other foreign language. If you don't use it, you loose it! I have forgotten soooooooooo much! I guess it's time to get the rusy hands working again and teach the girls a few things.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Miss Elizabeth June 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Hi again Sister Lisa,

I was just reading all your other entry's on ASL. I have to definitely say that is was good you had finger spelling as the first lesson. Before moving on in ASL master your alphabet. When I started I didn't do that because I thought it would be to hard and that I wouldn't use it, but that was a BIG mistake on my part. Now I know alphabet is required in learning ASL just like we have to learn the alphabet to read.

I enjoyed reading them...and look forward to more tips!

-Miss Elizabeth

P.S. Please stop my my blog soon!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP