All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, July 21, 2008

Homeschooling: Are you sure?

After growing up in the public school and having my children in a private Christian school we found that for our family, homeschooling has been the best. Each family decides to homeschool for different reasons, but no matter what your reason is, be sure this is exactly what you and your spouse feel 100% sure on doing.

It's important for both parents to be on the same page with an important decision such as this. You'll want to sit down and talk about the family schedule and what responsibilities each parent will have in homeschooling. In my home, my husband works full time and many times over time so the majority of the homeschooling is done by me. My oldest daughter, Jessica, is 18 years old and she is able to help homeschool the little ones with me. She enjoys this since she wants to homeschool her own children someday. This is important training for her and helps me immensely.

I am accountable to my husband for what the children are learning and accomplishing. I have each child update their daddy on how they're doing and we save their papers for him to look over. He helps them study for spelling tests and enjoys hearing about their projects. Each time a child shares what they learned with their dad and their grandparents, the subject gets deeper rooted in their minds, this causing them to remember more of what they learned.

My husband often asks if something in particular is in our line up for the year, if it is we let him know when it's coming up and if it's not we incorporate his suggestions in. His major responsibility is providing the finances needed for curriculum and field trips and he is just as much a part of those decisions as I am.

Having my husband and I both on board with homeschooling brings stability to our lives, our homeschool and our children. If one parent is unsure, the children will know and could cause them to feel uncertain about mom being teacher. It is very important that both parents stay abreast of what's going on in the homeschooling community.

If you and your spouse can work it out to attend a homeschool conference or book fair I strongly encourage you to do that. Read homeschooling books together and homeschool articles from other homeschool parents, like the ones you see at The Homeschool Blog Awards and on the HSB Company Porch.

Take some time to become acquainted with the Homeschool Legal Defense Association(HSLDA), and Home School Legal. Several states offer specialized homeschool support by state and you can find out more about those at the HSLDA.

Spend time in prayer while researching as much as you can about homeschooling and once you know that you and your spouse are 100% sure about your decision, then come back and read my list of recommendations on how to get started.






The HomeSpun Life

1 kind words:

Tonya August 5, 2009 at 6:29 AM  

SisterLisa,

I am new to THL, but not to homeschooling, I've been at that for 11 years now. Though at times it's been a huge challenge, it has been so good for the kids and myself~ talk about a character building endeavor!:)

I really enjoyed your post, and I'll look forward to stopping back and reading more of your blog entries.

Blessings to you,
Tonya

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP