All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, August 29, 2008

Children Serving in the Community

Yesterday, Paula asked me about involving children in community service.

She says, "I would like to know more about how you involve your children in service to your community. I feel like that is a largely missing piece in our lives right now. I would especially like to have ideas that would work with small children--I can't really see us doing soup kitchens at this point."
This is a great question and how awesome that Paula wants to begin training her children in the area of community at an early age. Here are some ideas I was able to find in my own community:

The Humane Society: They always welcome volunteers. Wen volunteering with small children they require that the parent be present at all times.

Community Clean Up: Our community has one Saturday at the onset of the school year that is coordinated by our local State College. This is a day when we volunteer as a family to clean up the parks and streams.

Church: My church has outreaches to the community as well. See if your church has a program set up to reach your community. If they don't, volunteer to start one. Simple things you can do are: Weeding an elderly church member's yard, then offering to do so for their neighbor.(You can also rake leaves, clean street gutters, wash cars, etc)

Library: The local library here allows volunteers to help re-shelve books. This is also quite educational for small children. While the parent guides them in re-shelving you can also teach them how the library categorizes their books by number and Author name.

Community Centers: If you have a community center, ask if they need volunteers. See if they have a craft day or book reading that your children can participate in. Teaching young children to assist even smaller children is excellent training in them growing up to be 'need fillers' themselves.

Your Neighborhood: You can always plan days to assist elderly neighbors with their yard care, returning their recyclables for them and bringing them the money, and taking out their garbage bins on trash day. Other ideas are: walking pets, bathing dogs, cleaning cobwebs from porches, and sweeping their driveways.

I hope this list is helpful in teaching your children about reaching out to others in need.



The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



3 kind words:

kathy August 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM  

Thank you for sharing these ideas! I just stumbled on your blog. I'll save it. Have a great weekend!

Paula August 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

Thank you for taking the time to think about my question and post such a thoughtful response. You suggested several ideas I had not thought of before and a few I had considered but not put into action. I think I will make service our focus for the month of September and see how much we can do, then report on my blog.
I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
-Paula
http://a-large-room.blogspot.com/

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP