All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, August 11, 2008

Gearing Up For Our Second Year

I love this time of year! We're gearing up to officially begin our second year of homeschooling! (Not counting the years of preschooling for all four children.(20 years combined)) I enjoy seeing the educational supplies at the stores and my nose is drawn to the baked scented candles each year. Last year I got a wonderful winter candle from Home Interiors, which I am looking forward to getting again this year. If you haven't breathed in the delicious aroma of their baked apple candle, well then you just haven't lived yet!

I have already purchased a few things we needed for this year as far as supplies goes, but we've got just about everything we need for this upcoming year as far as curriculum goes. We do want to venture into a new math set for our family this year with Math-U-See. We have already used A Beka, Bob Jones, and Saxon. We're ready for a fresh start with a new line of math books. I also was able to get the 'Math Dictionary' from B and N.

Something I have noticed about the A Beka English workbooks is that beginning in the seventh grade book, each year afterwards has the same information in them. (Not exact sentences mind you.) But each page is filled with busy work and I feel no need to keep purchasing them. Last year we used them as practice books, then put their understanding to the test by building Growing in Grace Magazine for them to show what they have learned. They still have plenty of pages left for practicing for another year. This year they will continue writing at GGM and will increase their writing at their own blogs. I also purchased a book from Barnes and Noble(With my 20% off teacher's discount) called, 'Grammar Girl's For Better Writing'.

I own a copy of The Victory Drill Book in which I am thoroughly pleased with. Each of my girls learned to read and spell using the words and stories contained within it's hardbound blue cover.

We use the library for Science as we explore various fields of science and I recently purchased two books in one from Costco about the sun and the weather. Of course you know weather is my favorite part of Science and we enjoy watching the educational episodes on TWC each winter.

Moni had begun a little business by making jewelry and selling earrings, bracelets, and necklaces to earn her way to camp. She did quite well so this year she will continue that for Art as well as some budgeting experience for Math. We will begin teaching her how to use Quick Books to monitor her investment and her profit.

Our ministry's bookkeeper agreed to show Jess how to use Quickbooks at the office for a few hours a week to teach her how to print checks and balance a bank statement. She'll also be studying the Stewardship book from Math-U-See. And finally she'll be able to finish her wedding planning project, because a friend of ours is getting married and she's going to be able to help plan the wedding!

Now Jess also is going to be continuing her hands on experience at educating her younger siblings as she has a strong desire to homeschool her own children someday. (Like when she's 50 or something like that. Or did her dad say she had to wait til she's 60?) ;O)

Jess is becoming quite serious as her interest in homesteading has come into full swing. Each morning she awakens to the sunlight and adorns her waist with her apron then begins breakfast each day. She has learned to make crepes, Belgian waffles, scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast, bacon, sausage, scones and so much more. Our vocational training restaurant at our ministry is operated by a gentleman on staff who has been a restaurant chef for many years. He willingly and happily agreed to teach Jess some techniques in fine dining cooking this year as well.

We will all continue to read more each year and we enjoy our trips to the library. This year we desire to attend the special book readings for the deaf with our dear friend Charlene. Not only that but I'm going to be teaching an elective class on sign language at our adult Bible Institute. Jess and I will be taking their night Bible classes together which will be my final year (in which I'll be graduating finally) and Jess will be in her first year of 'Bible college' alongside me. :O)

Timmy and Gina will continue their studies on reading clocks, counting money, multiplication, along with their History, Geography(another one of my favorites), and reading. We are excited about this year and what God has in store for us. Do you ever get stumped on what to do about Bible class? I just view our church's past archives! ;O) We also invest in the DVD sets to all the conferences each year and the kids love to watch their pastor on TV in our homeschool.

Many of you know that we run a recovery ministry for the homeless and wounded people of our community, which of course is our social studies. Our children spend time each year serving in our community in various aspects including Toys for Tots, the Adopt-a-child and Coats for Kids Organization, the local soup kitchen, the community clean up days, and within our own ministry.

In our culture today, people are so consumed with their addictions. Even our state has finally allowed for teens to seek faith based counseling through the government schools and we are one of the certified agencies to help these young people this year.

Other than that I do want our children to be able to study other cultures and social studies that show the good aspect of our world today. Did you know that millions of Christians are learning about evangelism? (Also known as Soul Winning!) I challenge you to take some time this year to learn about how Christians are leading souls to Christ all over the world this year. Don't forget to pray for those Christians who are severely persecuted too. Do you know of a missionary through your church that you can have your children write to? If you don't and you'd like to find one just let me know.

You can also get your family signed up to be pen pals with other Christians. Which is a really great way to practice their handwriting!

Be sure you have your subscription up to date with TOS and get signed up for your e-mail subscription at The Homeschool Blog Awards. (They're gearing up for another spectacular year of awards and prizes so be sure to get signed up!)

So what's on your 2008-2009 homeschool agenda?


The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

9 kind words:

SuperAngel August 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM  

That sounds like your school year is going to be so productive and I know the kids are going to learn so much!
You have some great plans!

Love you!
Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com

Sherry August 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

Thank you for sharing your agenda/schedule! I am a new homeschooler so I am gleaning from all the veterans. :D I loved baked goodie candles. The home interiors baked apple smells scrumptious!! :D

I really like your ideas for ministry this year. I wondered how many homeschoolers incorporated those. THanks for the ideas! :D
Sherry

eclectic education August 27, 2008 at 9:36 AM  

Hope you have a great school year! :)

~Lynn

SuzyScribbles August 27, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

Wait a second...did you say this is your second year of homeschooling? Wow! You have embraced it whole-heartedly, that's for sure! My second year? Hmmm.. I was still a little insecure about branching out into other (what little there was) curricula.
And....do you "rent" Jess out? I need some good cooks around here these days.
My older kids can cook great (both son and daughter), but my younger boys? I don't know what I did wrong, but I failed to pass the torch on to them. Let this be a warning to you. LOL
Get those little guys in the kitchen. :-)

Sisterlisa August 27, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

Suzy, you're so funny!

As I said I felt like I had already homeschooled during their little years before K. Then I have always been there study partner and tutor at home.

We 'homeschooled' our summer school books every summer. I also volunteerd in their classes all those years, taught VBS, and Sunday School for many years.

I suppose God worked in my heart all those years, as training. ;O)

akhmmm August 27, 2008 at 5:31 PM  

Sounds like you've got things all planned out really well. I like the idea of teaching the kids to balance a check book and such. I know that I need to have my son do something along that line, I'll have to see what I can find.

amada August 27, 2008 at 10:41 PM  

Hi! We're missionaries in Peru, and my beloved is a wild and crazy evangelist, he even made it onto the way of the master radio web page recently all the way from here in Peru! hilarious. Anyway, he loves way of the master resources and uses them extensively in our ministry. Just thought I'd say hi :)

Amy
Trujillo, Peru

I'd love to invite you to my blog warming party at my new blog. Scroll down to enter the contest if you're interested :)

Paula August 28, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

I would like to know more about how you involve your children in service to your community. I feel like that is a largely missing piece in our lives right now. I would especially like to have ideas that would work with small children--I can't really see us doing soup kitchens at this point.

Sisterlisa August 28, 2008 at 11:53 PM  

Excellent question Paula. Come back on Friday, August 29th for a list I wrote up for you.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP