All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, August 25, 2008

It's An Anaconda!

Tonight my children went outside to take some pictures and I heard a scream come from the driveway, "Mom!!! Monica found a snake in the road!" I went out and sure enough there was a baby snake. I haven't been able to find a picture on the internet to help me identify it yet. So if you know what this is please let us know. We're in Northern California.

So I send Moni inside to get a pillow case and I was able to catch the little critter. We drove it out to the levee outside our neighborhood and released it in a natural habitat. On our way out my son pipes up with, "I KNOW what kind of snake it is! It's an anaconda!" LOL Jess and I snickered at how cute he was to say that , but we assured him it was not an anaconda. :O)

Quite a learning experience for the kids. Not only that, but my son thinks I'm such a cool mom to be able to catch a live snake!

Then Timmy whispers to me, "Mom can I got to the van and get my snake?" You see he has a little pink plastic one we found at the park. I said, "Sure." Next thing I know my husband crawls into bed and SCREAMS! Timmy shouts, "I gotcha!" lol It was his pink snake, but in the dark my husband couldn't tell what color it was. With knowing that we really did just catch a snake it startled him quite a bit. My son...what a stinker!

So tell me, what species of snake this is.





The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator


7 kind words:

Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home August 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM  

I have no clue what it is, but I wouldn't want it in my bed! :-)

MrsD/Jacque August 25, 2008 at 8:55 PM  

I don't know what it is either, but I am with Dawn! I don't want it anywhere near me!
Though, I wouldn't mind it in my barn, if it would stay away from us and the goats and chickens.
Seems rats like eggs... YUCK! I would love for a nice big snake to come in and deprive us of the new rat population under the barn!!
:D Jacque

http://jacquedixon.com

Aunt Jen August 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM  

I do not know....nor do I really want to think about figuring out what kind of snake that is....It really didn't look that small...UGH
Jen

Sprittibee August 26, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

I love snakes. Looked like a hognose to me. You can tell by the head that it isn't poisonous - because most poisonous snakes have diamond shaped heads. Many, though, - even non-poisonous snakes - can still bite! So be careful.

I found this site on the next that seems to indicate it might be a gopher snake. You can probably id it better having seen it up close.

http://www.californiaherps.com/identification/snakesid/common.html

Sherry August 26, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

Yikes! I am so not a snake person!! LOL!

Sisterlisa August 26, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

Heather, I was looking at that very same site, but none of the markings were identical. I'm thinking it must be some kind of gopher snake. Since it's a baby I'm concerned there may be more in the area. There are LOTS of kids who live around us who are often playing outside unattended. This snake didn't slither very quickly. It would be easy for a small child to walk up to it and pick it up. DANGEROUS!

Wendy August 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

Oh YIKES! You are a cool mom, I wouldn't have done that!! I'll show this to Jackson and turn him loose searching, he'll be happy to ;)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP