All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs: Something New


This week's theme is 'Something New' at The HSBA's Homeschool Memoirs. Homeschool moms, and some of their students are participating in sharing what NEW curriculum they are using this year. So not only will I share what new thing I have for my children, but also something new that I am doing as well. I think it's just as important for a mom(the teacher) to continue to research and study new things as she increases her own intellect.

This year our new curriculum is Math U See. I really like this set of math books and the DVD's are very easy to understand. I wish we would have had Math U See all their lives! They even have a blog with updates and fresh ideas on how to teach your children.

We also have a learning CD that came in one of our workbooks from SchoolZone. I was able to get them 50% off at Toys R Us last Christmas and what a deal that was! In the CD you can add in the spelling words that you are currently using and the kids play the games with their words. So although it says 1-2 grade, you can add in your own. ;O)

Now for me! I am studying alongside Jessica in her "What Every Christian Needs to Know about The Constitution" and I highly recommend that book! This book has been very inspiring to me, especially since we have an upcoming election. Now with this book I am also studying more in depth into the Bible history to see what happened when certain people were in leadership over their countries. On top of that I just received my CSAC II in Drug and Alcohol Counseling and am currently working on my Associates Degree in Christian Counseling. My assignment to complete this is to write a book about Biblical education. (More info coming soon)

On emore thing I am doing this year is completing my Biblical Studies degree with our Bible Institute. Every Tuesday night I will be in class and my kids get to come with me. Jess will be attending with me and the little ones will be in the class next to ours in their Bible Club. The first class is Sign Language, taught by your truly. Be on the lookout for more Sign Language lessons from me here at The HomeSpun Life, and I'll even have online quizzes for my online students. ;O)

To read more about what our homeschool moms are doing in their 'classrooms' go to the HSBA.





The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



7 kind words:

tonsofsons September 10, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

I want the constitution book. It is very PA-ish!

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

SuzyScribbles September 10, 2008 at 8:27 AM  

Yes, this Math U See is the new thing, for sure. My DS's son is starting it, after 3 years of Saxon (my favorite). I'm very interested in seeing if it's as good as they all say. The advantage, of course, is the DVD for busy mothers.

And WOW! What an example you are of the continual learner! Your own studies, along with your kids! That is such an example.

SuperAngel September 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

Oh fun! That constitution class sounds really great. Mama told me about it last nite!

Wish you lived closer, so that you could teach me sign language! I have wanted to learn that for so long!
Love,
Miss Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com

Kristie September 10, 2008 at 5:58 PM  

The constitution book does sound awesome. And what a great year for it.

Kristie

VintageGirl September 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

We too enjoy Math U See. Right now my sister and I are using their Geometry program.

Miss Emily Rose

lcourtneymom September 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

We are also enjoying Math U See. We'll look forward to your sign language lessons. My dd is studying sign language for Keepers at Home.

Leah
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/lcourtneymom

akhmmm September 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

You're teaching ASL? That is great. I took a course while in college, over 20 years ago, and greatly enjoyed. I'd love to take another class and get to the point where I could really communicate with someone, perhaps even be a translator in a hospital or legal setting.
Elaine

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP