All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs


Homeschool Memoirs!This week's Homeschool Memoirs meme asks about our homeschool routine. I'm glad Miss Jocelyn used the term 'routine', because I cringe at the term 'schedule'. There's just no way we can stay on a strict schedule. We do however tackle each topic in order each day.

I wake up at 5:30 for quiet time with the Lord and for ME time. Have coffee and begin the laundry. While the computer boots up I empty the dishwasher. Then I grab my coffee and head to my devotions. I read my AOP devotion every morning to get encouragement about my homeschooling position. I read my Bible and pray for the day. I check my e-mail for the prayer requests our church sends out and pray again for those requests.

Jess gets up and reads her Bible and prays, then each child begins to trickle out of bed. We're all up and at it by 6:30 or 7. (Depending on how late we were up)

We tidy a bit then have breakfast. Everyone gets dressed and we get to the table.
1. Bible memorization/ Bible Curr. A Beka
2. Handwriting/Copywork
3. Spelling/Grammar
a.Phonics for the little ones
b. Cut n' glue (or tape when we can't find the glue.) (mental note to buy more glue)
4. Math
a. Recess for the little ones
5. Math for the little ones
a. break for the teens

Tuesday & Thursday: Science
Mon-Wed-Fri: Geography and History

Daily 12pm-1pm: Lunch
Mon-Wed: Dad teaches Bible Study at 11

Thursday and Fridays: test for Math and spelling

Every afternoon we have quiet times for reading. We read extra books for Geography, Science, History, and Social studies (A lot of this is on the internet reading news stories)

We hit the gym for PE 3 days a week and the other days we play in front of the house or go to the park for recreational PE.

At night the teens get in their creative writing times for Growing in Grace Magazine. It's a great way for homeschool girls to send in their submissions for publication.

Then at various times of the day we do extra homesteading activities such as cooking, cleaning, sewing, gardening, etc.

At night, daddy sits down with them and asks about their day. They enjoy telling daddy how they worked ahead in their books. Today Moni worked ahead in Math by 3 whole lessons. HUGE difference from the 'I hate Math' spirit she had when she was in Christian School. Jess expects to finish her Math Curriculum by the end of the first semester. She'll then begin her Senior year math and be done with Senior math by the time she finishes this year as a junior.

Timmy sat through Gina's math lesson on multiplication and he understood the concepts! I'll have him sit through her lessons each day, but still do his own. Maybe next year he can breeze through his math and get ahead too.

Want to see what other homeschool moms' routines are like?




The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



21 kind words:

SuperAngel September 2, 2008 at 10:23 PM  

Wow! you guys have a great routine! I love the Daddy time! that is so important for the girls and so awesome they have that relationship with him!

I am so glad I stopped by today because this is such an encouragement!
Love ya!
Miss Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com

JM September 2, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

That's right, we clean. I knew I forgot something. Actually, it looks around here like I forgot something.

Thanks for sharing. I know it's going to be neat to see how other homeschoolers order their days.

JM

Kristie September 3, 2008 at 3:34 AM  

I enjoyed reading about your schedule. We also try to hit the gym a few times a week for physical activity. Its a great way for the family to spend time together.

Kristie

MrsMomma September 3, 2008 at 4:20 AM  

Wonderful routine! Thanks for sharing.

Miss Rachel September 3, 2008 at 5:01 AM  

Wonderful 'schedule', Mrs. B! :P I am in need of getting mine done. I will have to do that soon. I finally just got my assignment up from last week! Oh well, at lease I can get them up. :)

How have you been? Did Mom tell you we got Lady Jess's invite to her party? Very pretty invite, if I do say so myself. Kind of like the magazine's layout for this month. Tell her thank you for it, and we would have come if we could have! :)

I posted again, and I think you got an email update from me. :D

Hope you have a wonderful and blessed day, and may you be in the Palm of His Hand. :) God Bless you!
Love,
Rachel

http://dixonhomestead.com/rachel

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Philippians 4:13 "You can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens you!"

Julie September 3, 2008 at 6:40 AM  

I was going to say they same thing about "routine" vs "schedule" lol! While I find that we do tend to do things around the same time each day, I just don't like making up or following a set schedule. I enjoyed reading about your homeschool routine. :)

devildogwife September 3, 2008 at 8:27 AM  

I enjoyed reading about your routine. I'm constantly amazed by the early risers as we are not early risers. ;) I'm looking forward to once again having Daddy time. Not too much longer...

Sherry September 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Great routine! I'm also up at 5:30, too, although I'm not an early morning person. I made it a habit a couple years ago and now get up usually before the alarm goes off.

I have been thinking of doing the gym. I need to check into it. :D

Michelle September 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM  

I enjoyed reading your post.
We really need to put in more of an effort for P.E. It's on the agenda, but we don't always get to it.
Blessings,
Michelle

Kris September 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

Yikes! I can't imagine being up that early in the morning. lol I like the idea of getting up that early and having all that time, but my night-owl body can't get itself out of bed before 8:30-ish (which is much earlier than I used to get up).

Thanks for sharing. The curious me always likes to get a glimpse into other homeschoolers' days.

A family of boys September 5, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

Ah...your house sounds so peaceful. I had to laugh at the glue thing though. We just ran out for my preschooler and I need to add it to my list. Thanks for the reminder! :)

I love that Daddy time, was he always so involved with it?

Many blessings!
Wendy

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

SuperAngel: My girls adore their daddy and for Jess and Moni it's a miracle. They remember the 'old daddy' he used to be and have forgiven and still bonded with him. It's such a blessing to see what God has done in our lives.

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

JM, We add cleaning to our homeschool day, because we believe that house training for the kids is just as important as academics. I've seen very smart people be slobs and it's absolutely unattractive.

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

Kristie, Using the gym is great! They have kids classes too, so mom can get in some stress relieving time for herself AND a peaceful uninterrupted shower. ;O)

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

Miss Rachel, Thank you for coming by and for leaving me a memory verse. :O) I gave The Sarah Home Women Phil 4:13 just today. :O)

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

Thanks Julie. I got 'routine' from Flylady.

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:57 PM  

(((Praying for Devil Dog to be home soon!!!!)))))

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:57 PM  

Michelle, I'll write up an article on finding ways to do PE. :O)

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

Wendy, it's my post that sounds peaceful We live in a very small mobile home and homeschooling four kids in this dining room can become a tension builder for sure. It's then that we run outside to play or have another child take a shower or tidy their room. It's almost impossible to have all four kids working quietly at the same table. We break up our day a bit.

I will write more about that in a bit too.

Sisterlisa September 5, 2008 at 3:54 PM  

Yes Wendy, my husband enjoys being a part of their homeschooling days.

Blessedw5mom September 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Oh and special thatnks for that link to AOP devotions! I think I'll start pulling that up as I turn my computer on each morning!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP