All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What does the Bible have to do with math?

The other day we sat down to study math and one of my dear children was struggling with her work. I had explained the problem the day before AND this time I went through it several times and in different ways.

We watched the Math U See DVD and paused as we went through it to be sure she got each and every step. She still struggled. I could sense a struggling spirit in her countenance and felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to realize that it wasn't due to her lack of brains. All of a sudden He spoke to my heart and mind these verses:

Proverbs 1:5, "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:"
Proverbs 9:9, "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning."

So then I asked her, "Are you a wise young lady?" She looked up at me with a look on her face that expressed to me this question, "What does this have to do with math?"

As she sat there in silence with that look on her face the Holy Spirit gave me the next verse.

Proverbs 1:7b, "but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:22, "How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?"

She then seemed to have her light go on. Then I asked, "Are you a wise young lady or a fool? Will you receive instruction or despise it?"

More silence, but I could tell she was thinking about this. I admonished her with this:

"If your heart is right with the Lord and with your mom(teacher), then you will be wise.

Proverbs 1:8-9, "My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck."

"God will bless you with 'increase in learning' when you can be obedient to your mom in this matter of doing your math work."

I walked away and when I came back she was done with her work. It was far more important to me that she grasp the spiritual side of this math lesson, and in teaching that she learned a valuable lesson that will enhance all of her education, so much the more. (*By the way, not only did she complete her work, but she came home and voluntarily went onto the next lesson and only missed one problem out of twenty.)








The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



1 kind words:

MrsD/Jacque September 9, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

Amen and amen Lisa! Is this not the greatest gift you can give your children than to be there, walking and talking with them in the ways of the Lord throughout their days?

Doesn't it just feel right deep down inside your soul?
And, not that it is a feeling, but maybe a bearing witness with the Holy Spirit as He leads your children as you listen to Him??
Obviously, she got it too...

AMEN!
HUGS!

Jacque
http://jacquedixon.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP