All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, September 26, 2008

Why Isn't She 'Getting It'?

Every now and then we all struggle with getting our children to ‘want’ to do right, whether it be doing the dishes or completing their school work. (If you’re not one of those parents, then my hats off to you.)

However, one day we came to a conclusion, by the leading of the Holy Spirit. It was one of those days when I wanted to pull my hair out! I asked God, “WHY isn’t she GETTING this?” as I was trying to explain her math problem for the umpteenth time!

The Holy Spirit spoke God’s Word into my soul. Proverbs 1:7, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Do you know HOW this verse came to my mind so quickly? It was one of our memory verses that week! The Word of God was describing ‘who’ doesn’t like wisdom and instruction. Here I was trying to ‘instruct’ my child and she certainly was despising it. Now before you get upset with me consider God’s Word. She was not understanding what I was teaching her. Then the Holy Spirit said to me,

Proverbs 1:2, “To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;”

Proverbs 3:13, “Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.”

Proverbs 4:5, “Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.”

Proverbs 4:7, “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.”

In each of these verses God speaks about wisdom and understanding together, because they go hand in hand; much like peanut butter and jelly, or milk and cookies. So how can my child understand what I’m teaching her? First she must find wisdom!

Proverbs 1:5, “A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:”

This was also one of our memory verses that week. God is so amazing in how He leads us each day! This was the answer, the solution, to our dilemma. She needed to first find wisdom! So how does she get wisdom? First of all we know that God’s Word is the very wisdom we need and the wisdom in which God is speaking about in these verses. Yet it’s not just the head knowledge of His Word, we must know how to apply that knowledge.

Proverbs 4:7, “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.”

You see God Himself is saying that Wisdom is the principle thing. He tells us to get wisdom first, and then we’ll get understanding. So we paused our math work for a season and are focusing on God’s Word.

Here is what I have assigned her.

1. Read a chapter of Proverbs every day.

2. Write out that chapter. (Classes fulfilled: copywork/handwriting, Bible, grammar, and Eng. Lit)

3. Highlight the verses that really jumped out at you and read them to mom. Tell me why they jumped out at you.

4. Memorize the above verses on wisdom and understanding.


5. Pray for wisdom. James 1:5, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."


Not only is she doing better with her school work, but she is more at peace and more obedient. Thank you Lord for your Word!






The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



0 kind words:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP