All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How We Help Others

There is a contest at 'Living in Theory' this week and she's asking what we do to make a difference in the lives of others. My friend Jacque sent me this link and asked if this was something I would be interested in doing. She knows everything that my husband and I do in our community and online so I guess she thinks we do a lot for others. ;O)

My husband is a missionary to the homeless and addicts in our city at The Well Ministry of Rescue. He has faithfully served these men for nearly 10 years and works 60+ hours a week to help these men get their lives put back on track. His mission is different, as we don't just feed the men, but we house them and train them. Hundreds of men every year are fed, clothed, have a warm bed, get their GED's or high school diplomas, get vocational training, and are taught life skills to become a productive member of the community once again. Last year we were able to get a women's home opened and now I serve those ladies in the same way my husband helps the men.

We also have had the opportunity to speak to local groups, both adults and teens, about the dangers of addiction and how to avoid that lifestyle trap. Our children also serve in our community by serving meals and volunteering their time each year to the local community clean ups. This last year we took on the position of heading up the local Toys for Tots for our community and organize fundraisers in order to provide toys for low income children each December. On top of that we homeschool our own children and believe in raising them to become servants of the community so they can pass this torch to their generation.

I am a deaf interpreter and have trained my children in sign language as well and now my two oldest daughters interpret as well (at the ages of 13 and 16). We volunteer for deaf families so they can have the same opportunities to help our community as we do as hearing people. We give our time to get them involved as well. Our hope is to be able to help bridge the gap between the deaf in our community and the hearing. There are so many people who need help, even in the deaf circles. Yet there aren't enough people who are willing to learn their language in order to help them.

Living a life of service to others is natural to us, as we ourselves were in need of such agencies many years ago. God miraculously changed our lives and now we want to give back in order to help others also. My daughters and I teamed up with the Dixon family to begin an online publication for girls called Growing in Grace Magazine. It's a free publication that we were inspired to begin as a tool to encourage other girls to live lives that reach out to others also. Each month we publish articles on personal health, character building, family unity, etc.

Our family has a strong desire to give as much of ourselves as we can in order to help make others lives better. So that's it in a nutshell. When we are handed another opportunity to be of help to others our friends giggle and say, "As if you need another thing on your plate." Yet we do not feel we can do enough. Other members of our community teamed up to help us get our lives back and we love our community and just want to do all we can to help others.

The prize list is fabulous for this contest and although we do need a new computer for our homeschool we'd also like to share some of that prize to the ministries we help in today. The Media Smart Connect would be great for the men's mission for them to watch some teaching videos. We video tape the classes and for those who are new to the program this would be beneficial as they can watch the tapes on their big screen TV that was donated to their facility. Our women's home needs a printer/scanner to communicate with other local agencies that partner with us to help the women in our community. There's so much more we can do with this prize package and we'd use it to continue the work that we do to help others. Thank you to the team of bloggers who are reading all the entries. Thank you for the time you're giving to help make someone's life better with the prize package from HP.



Also see:
My Recipes
My Homeschool Posts
My Homestead Posts

The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



10 kind words:

Jolly Joan December 16, 2008 at 8:10 AM  

Oh wow! You all really have wonderful hearts...and are doing something about it too. Thank you for already sharing with your lives, and for being willing to share even more if you were blessed to win this contest. Incredible--thank you!

Laurie/Mobile Mommy December 16, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

This really is a great post about impact - you and your family must positively impact so many people with your ministries and your volunteer work. Very inspiring to read - good luck!

z. Smith December 16, 2008 at 8:38 AM  

I think it is awesome that you taught your children in sign language. You really sound like a neat family - best of luck!

Californialily December 16, 2008 at 9:36 AM  

You and your family are the most helpful and generous family I have ever known! It's a blessing to know you all!

Jyl @ MommyGossip December 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

Sounds like you are doing so much to help others. What great lives and examples of service you are. I'd love to chat with you and brainstorm. We are an online community that focuses on changing the world one mom at a time. I bet you'd have some great ideas for us.

In the meantime, good luck with the contest. And, enjoy a happy holiday season.

Gwynne December 16, 2008 at 11:25 AM  

Amazing heart and amazing family. I have often considered taking the sign language interpreter courses at my local community college. Now, I might just look into that again!

Blessing to you, and good luck!

Roguepuppet December 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

Being called to a life of service is a demanding path. It sounds like you and your family are well called and serve an amazing example to the others in your community. I wish you luck and a happy holiday season.

Catie December 16, 2008 at 6:00 PM  

What an amazing family! :) I am very impressed that you shared with your daughters the gift of sign language. It was the only way I could "talk" to my son with asperger's for the first three years of his life and I just think it's an amazing skill to learn! Go girls!

Good luck!

Ricci December 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

Very nice! I did volunteer work with a home for women for a season and it was a bright spot in my life to be of service! Thank you for shining your light among men (and women!)

Ricci

Maureen December 17, 2008 at 7:45 AM  

Just beautiful! You are truly impacting others daily!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP