All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pulsating Explosive Headache

I never thought I'd write about this, but maybe someone out there can help me with this. Last night I began to have a headache, but it's not an ordinary headache. I actually began having these kinds of headaches when I was 17 years old. These headaches are located at the back top portion of my head. In a small area and hits like someone is hitting me with a hammer.

That initial blast is what hurts. It hits me then stops just as quickly as it starts. It does not linger like a migraine. I've had migraines before this is not the same by any means. A friend suggested I look up cluster headaches, but when I did I knew it was not the same as those either. I woke up this morning and I'm still experiencing this.

When I was in high school my mom had me see a chiropractor and went to him 3 times a week for several months. When I graduated I stopped going, because I moved away. I did not experience the headaches again until after I had Jessica. They bothered me again for about a year, tapering off towards the end of her first year of life. I did not experience them again until after I had Monica. Then the same thing happened after each child birth.

Timmy is now 6 years old and I don't get these very often, but when I did they would only last a few minutes. This one has lasted all night. I hesitate on taking anything for it, because I want to know what it is doing. If I simply numb the pain with Tylenol or Ibuprofen I'm not really fixing the problem.

I did cut back on caffeine, but not by a lot. I am drinking more water and that's a good thing. My schedule is certainly more busy right now, but no different than any other December. I don't have any actual stress, to me my life seems normal.

My eye sight is not affected by this at all. The pain feels like a pulsating explosion and only hurts during that explosion. As soon as the explosion hits, I feel the pain, then it's gone. But they keep coming.

Any suggestions?



Also see:
My Recipes
My Homeschool Posts
My Homestead Posts

The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



12 kind words:

Clara Van Nattan December 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM  

Do you have high blood pressure when you have these headaches? Do they make you feel nauseous? Does your hearing change? Do you have any 'blackouts' when you have the headaches? I was a nurse before my children were born and honestly, I would get the problem checked out with a good doctor... for things like brain tumours, blood pressure problems etc. When did you last have general blood tests done? People generally don't get pain for no reason - pain is God's gift to us so that we can know something is not right in our bodies. I would definitely not ignore it. If you ignore it and later discover brain cancer and it is too late, you will regret! I don't want to scare you to death, but better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Sisterlisa December 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM  

I made myself a cup of coffee and after two drinks I could feel the pain stop. I will have to wait til January to see a doctor. If it happens again I'll go to the ER. Thank you Clara.

Jacque December 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM  

You don't drink a lot of caffeine normally, though, do you? If the coffee stopped it, it would seem like a caffeine headache where your body was used to caffeine and then deprived of it for awhile.

I used to get horrible headaches. Matt would send me to bed, because I couldn't focus on anything and could barely function. Honestly, I rarely get them anymore. I am sure it had to do with my diet. All of a sudden they stopped.
One thing I have to watch for is nuts or meat with nitrates or nitrites in it. Eating take out pizza will do it too.
We don't do any lunch meat or hot dogs anymore either. We were actually buying all beef hot dogs for awhile, but we are only buying grass-fed beef and organic chicken now.

We don't drink much milk either. Do you all drink much milk? We only buy about a gallon a week, and it, too, is organic.

Also, a sinus headache may present issues for you, but you would then feel the pressure in your face too.

Praying for you~
Love, J

Sisterlisa December 12, 2008 at 12:31 AM  

Yes I used to have 2 cups of coffee a day and 2 Diet Pepsi MAX's a day which have a lot of caffeine. I quit buying those. :O) So I had cut back considerably over the past week. I usually have a cup of coffee while cooking dinner and had cut that back too. Right now I feel as though I never even had the headache. Cathy said that if it was a tumor and since these started when I was 17 ( 19 years ago) that it would be out of control by now.

Especially Heather December 12, 2008 at 3:54 AM  

Hey you..
I didn't experience headaches with my brain tumor.. actually I didnt have any symptoms at all. But I did find this for you:

Headache: Although headaches are probably the most common symptom of a brain tumor, most people with headaches – even persistent or severe headaches – do not have a tumor. However, some kinds of headaches are particularly worrisome. A steady headache that is worse in the morning than the afternoon, a persistent headache that is associated with nausea or vomiting, or a headache accompanied by double vision, weakness, or numbness all suggest a possible tumor.

It sounds like a caffeine headache, but I would HIGHLY recommend you get thyself to a doctor to be sure. You do not want to mess around if it is a brain tumor. Trust me.

I hope I have helped and not scared you, but multiple headaches of unknown origin are serious business and need to addressed by a physician.

Cathy is right though. Most headaches associated with a brain tumor do not go away and get alot worse over time. It is a constant pain.

When I was having sinus headaches last month, I was so concerned that my tumor had come back. The doctor told me that because they "came and went" that it was most likely not associated with new tumor growth and an MRI proved that. He said that if it was constant and excruciating it would be more likely.

-H

Especially Heather December 12, 2008 at 4:00 AM  

I found this:

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/ume/fcmonline/case36/FC%20MED%20720.pdf

Sisterlisa December 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM  

((Heather)) thank you so much for taking the time to encourage me and find that headache handout. None of those symptoms apply. :O) You are such a sweetie!!! You have not scared me. I have prayed about it and when I read your story the other day and saw your courage and faith in the Lord, I knew that no matter what everything would be okay. God is faithful.

Jacque December 12, 2008 at 9:27 AM  

Amen to you Lisa and Heather on your last posts...

Yes, it does sound like a caffeine headache. The OTC, addictive, unregulated, harmful drug in our country! Like sugar, I guess.
Anyway, yes, caffeine is a drug you must wean yourself off of. It *will* cause horrible headaches only appeased by more caffeine or suffering through it (OUCH!)

GLAD to hear you are off the diet stuff though! I read the other day that it breaks down into METHANOL!! THAT is cancer-causing!

Praying your headaches will subside and disappear completely and you will be healed of all side effects.

~J

Californialily December 12, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

Oh no, I will pray for you. I am wondering what is the trigger for these attacks. I would start writing down what I did, ate, drank, or anything prior to getting these headache attacks. Maybe you'll start finding something in common! Eliminate them, and experiment to see if it stops!!

Christina December 12, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

I have that kind of headache whenever I try to take certain supplements. I tend to get migraines, but this is different... across the BACK of my head. It took me awhile to realize what caused it. ONE of the supplements that caused it was a supposedly natural weight loss product. So I discontinued that and it went away. I am not usually a caffeine drinker, but it did dull those headaches when I got them if I had a chai tea or something like that.

Praying for you.

Clara Van Nattan December 12, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

I was thinking about your headaches, and there is something else I thought of that I could mention. My husband is allergic to msg, and it gives him headaches at the top/back of his head, so I was wondering whether you might get your headaches after eating things that are high in msg? Something worth considering. Msg headaches start a little while after eating msg. He can eat natural msg, but not the additive kind which is found in MANY MANY foods in USA. (He loves living in Australia because we have hardly any additive msg here :D ). MSG may not be your problem, but thought it worth mentioning.

SuperAngel December 13, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

I dont have any advice but I am praying for you and that is the best medicine because it goes straight to the ultimate Healer! HUGS!

Your comment about the rocks praising Him got me thinking that what a great responsibility it is for us to praise Him! :)

I was sure you would like those pictures of the barn! :) you should come see it in real life!
And yes, it took a while to do all those graphics for the COH. Whew! :) I like the way they turned out though.

HUGS!
Love,
Miss Amanda
The Daily Planet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP