All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, August 3, 2009

Curriculum Week with Darcy

NBTSbloghopDarcy at My3Boybarians has a creatively fun little meme for us homeschool mom to share how we are preparing for our homeschool year. Although all the other moms look so well prepared, the fact of the matter here at the HomeSpun Life is just this, I'm not as prepared as they are. :/ We are still in the process of getting ready. This has been one BUSY summer for us, but we do so much for the older girls during the summer too.

History, Science, Health, Web & Blog design/Computers,English, Photography: Jess and Moni write at Growing in Grace Magazine all summer long and we use that as part of their education. They have subjects/topics they are assigned that must be researched and written about, photos found, and sometimes online videos to share too. They receive emails with helpful grammar tips and other information tid bits to help along the way. GGM is also now accepting submissions from other homeschool girls so if you have a teen girl ages 12 and up that would like to get more info about this, click here.

Games: We have a variety of computer CD-Roms they use for education and other learning websites that make it fun for them and the little ones. Not only those, but educational games as well. From Boutique Edition Monopoly for the girls to Money Bingo for Timmy. We invest in games like this from our local school store to make learning more enjoyable. My girls will be writing reviews of many of the games we use as part of their work at GGM this upcoming month or so.

Other Webites: You'll see the other websites that we love on my right side bar there at the top. We use those through the school year and if you know of a really good one that isn't listed, please let me know and we'll check it out. Yuo can also go to History.com and get your teens signed up for their emails that come daily. They are full of history facts and articles to keep them busy reading about this world's history each morning. Another one for grammar is The Grammar Girl, which I recently found. GGril has amath whiz friend too, The Money Girl.

The Rest: The rest of the time the little ones have their workbooks which we gt from Barnes and Noble, Costco, and Abeka. We also have Math-U-See for them which seems ot be easier than most other math systems we have tried in the past.

Accountability/Record Keeping: We incorporate blogging into their homeschool year in various forms, and we make it fun for them and their bloggy friends by use of meme's. Moni has an education meme she uses called 'From the Learning Room' in which homeschool students can list what they are working on and share thier link with her and the other kids. It's a fun way to be accountable for them and learn aout what the other kids are doing in their homeschool.

Conculsion: As you can see we don't have a rigid schedule here in our homeschool. They have their books and assignments that I give and we begin about 8am and are usually done with serious seatwork by 11am. The rest of the day we use the hands on lifestyle approach to learning with the computers and board games. I created a private Yahoo group for my older two girls and I frequently send them assignments via email when they are online assignments. This helps eliminate the confusion about "I forgot" or "I lost my list"

We are lifestyle learners more than anything else, but we do have fun and get it done.


Also see:
My Recipes
My Homeschool Posts
My Homestead Posts

The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



6 kind words:

Amanda August 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

I love the idea of using blogging for record keeping. I may actually start blogs for my kids and they post about what they did that day. That will help with their typing and spelling and writing skills, as well as take a job off mom's list. ;-)

Thanks for the great idea. Have a good year!

Sisterlisa August 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

Thank you Amanda. I hope you'll allow them to participate on Moni's From the Learning Room meme. :O)

Darcy @ m3b August 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

I would have loved this kind of education as a teen. I felt such a sense of relaxed peace reading your plans.

Thanks for participating in the NBTS Blog Hop! Your header is beautiful.

Sisterlisa August 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

aww thanks Darcy. We believe strongly in the home and our education being relaxed and full of love. I loved what Sheila said in the HOTM conference today about Push and Pull. Too much rigid scheduling and it makes learning a chore. :/

Thanks re: my header. I make my own graphics. Always enjoy looking at your deign work. ;O)

knit1kids4 August 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

My boys blog some of their writing assignments... seems less painful!

Robin E. August 4, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

What a wonderful opportunity your girls have to write for Growing with Grace! How exciting, and what a great learning environment. I'm impressed.

Thank you for sharing on the Blog Hop.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP