All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Eliminate Distractions

I have found that it is a MUST to eliminate distractions from our homeschool day. We have a few simple rules and we must stick to them or we get completely off track.

Telephones: As much as I love to chat with friends on the phone, it's a No-No in this homeschool during the hours of 8am-1pm. We have an answering machine and we use it. Our cell phones have voice mail and we let the calls ring through to that.

Housework: I have tried to do housework in between homeschooling, but it's better left til later. I either wake up early to get some housework done or it waits until after 1pm. As a matter of fact, I highly recommend a sprucing up of the home before the kids wake up or do it the night before, after they get to bed.

Personal Projects: If you're like me, blogging and creating fun downloads for your readers, you could do it all day. But not while educating the kiddles. Are you a crafter? I suggest waiting until you are done with your education hours.

Reading: Once you get your hands on a good book it's hard to put down and you may find yourself telling the kids, "Just a second" While four chapters later you're still reading. I reserve my personal reading time for late at night when I'm in bed.

Visitors: Maybe your home is the one people like to drop in on at the spur of the moment. Mine is! We had to set the rules down that we do not accept visitors during our educating hours.

Television: No television at all until the day of homeschooling is over and the chores are done. We do use our cable service to tune into educational programs for the kids, but that is only after 1pm. Even though these programs are educational, they are to supplement what they are already learning and not to be used as a way out of their studies.

What distractions do you avoid during the day?





The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



2 kind words:

REAL ME August 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Since I have realyl never homeshooled (literally) until this year I just basically have came up with some on your list per advice of a friend.

Thanks for sharing.

Karen August 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

This is a great list of advice...we are a homeschooling family, too. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog and for becoming a follower--I am following yours also. :) Karen

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP