All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, September 7, 2009

Homeschool Carnival: Virtual Blog Conference

Welcome to our Homeschool Carnival Virtual Blog Conference! (Well, a mock conference anyway) This week we are going to partake in each other's homeschool through this virtual blog conference. There's a bit of something for each of you, including a Hot Topics Itinerary. This is homeschool for you, mom and dad! So grab a cup of coffee from over there>>>> at the coffee station, get your mouse ready for bookmarking your favorites on this tour and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Each 'teacher' has something special to share with you. Each of these teachers have homeschooled or are still homeschooling and we can glean a lot if we'll just be open to what each has to contribute. You just may find a few questions along the way, from fellow homeschooling parents. You're very welcome to comment as needed to help out, we're all participants this week. These are categorized in sessions and each link will change colors once you've visited them. You may want to clean out your cookies BEFORE you begin and do NOT clean them out until you are done. This way you'll know what sessions you have already completed. This is a long one so you may need to 'attend' each session at different times.

*Before you get started we ask that you 'register' by commenting below to let us know you are in 'attendance'. (If you choose not to comment that's okay too, but that 'My Name Is' sticker is helpful in getting to know each other.) If you are one of our 'teachers' please be sure to put on your button (on your blog) to let everyone know that these sessions have begun. We want to be sure everyone gets a chance to enjoy the time we're about to have with one another. Be sure to get through the entire 'conference' for a chance to win an Ebook.

~Session One~
Behavior/Socialization:
Kris from Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers teaches us how to get your children not to dawdle in her behavior and motivation tip.

Dawn of HomeschoolDawn also shares her tips for Behavioral Management, using marbles.

Bleu at Little Red Homeschool encourages parents of busy little boys to just let the boys be boys, You know, those little guys with ants in their pants, be flexible with those busy kids.

Katie from the Homeschool Cottage shares her tips for teens who need socialization.

These ladies have great tips for your homeschool behavioral management.

~Session Two~
Health:
Lara from the Texas Homesteader has a good lesson in helping those little ones who are picky eaters, while Teresa from Higher Education shares her creative study on intestine health. Could this be the tip that gets her the homeschool teacher of the year award?

Geography:
Debbie from the Architect and the Artist is giving you her guide to Alaska with her unit study.
Amy D from the Neighborhood Clubhouse has my undivided attention while she shares how she utilizes Google Maps for her geography lessons. This has got to be the coolest thing I have seen this homeschool year!
Lynda's Princess and the Bear got to enjoy their Africa study on the savannah, complete with their hands on project.

~Session Three~
Art:
Ms. Julie's Art School gives you step by step instruction on how to draw a horse.

Bible:
At The Legacy of Home, Mrs. White shows us the importance of Bible memorization each morning.

Math:
Amy from Hope is the Word gets creative with her egg carton math. I remember manipulatives like this when I was a kid and I loved them!

History:
The Choosey Homeschooler Blog shows us Nikki's appraoch to history exploration via time travel through the eyes of your immigrant ancestors.

~Session Four~
English/Reading:
Tiffany's Life on the Road gives us a fun lifestyle learning lesson on possesives while traveling.
At Aimee's land she shows us the fun they have in a book club, books really are a treasure.

Kari is anything but slow at The Snail's Trail. She gives us step by step instructions on how to get Home Depot to help out with our English/Grammar lessons. You won't want to miss this innovative word game with paint strips!

At Freehold 2 we see Ruby sharing the importance of reading literature for our English lessons and at School's Out we're taught vocabulary each day.

~Session Five~For the Teachers

Socialization:
Beverly's homeschool Blog at About.com shares her forum highlights.

Deana, the Frugal Homeschooling Mom wants to help each other meet and greet by introducing some other homeschool families.

Support:
Katherine from No Fighting, No Biting needs your support and encouragement with her chaotic start.
At Stephanie's Adventures in the 100 Acre Wood, she shares about her homeschool dynamics, while Renae from Life Nurturing Education encourages us to take a break, sometimes an overwhelming collections of books can be just too much!

On a lighter note, we can have fun playing educational games with Winecup Christian Academy.

Karen from Candid Diversions says this post is a quick overview of some concerns people considering homeschooling may have.

~Session Six~
Getting Started:
Dana at Principled Discovery shares reasons 497-499 on 'Why I love homeschooling'.

Dave at The Homeschool Physicist, explains his philosophy for whether or not Homeschool kids should study.

Homeschool 101 gives their input on 'Why Homeschool'.

Debbie's Digest shares her fav 'how to homeschool' articles, and MaMaArcher discusses with us her homeschool plans and 'questions answered' and her curriculum choices were finalized.

At Eclectic Education, Lynn is hitting the books!

~Session Seven~
There's a lot going on in the USA, involving education and it's got some buttons pushed and tempers flaring. Each Hot Topic is hosted by mature hosts and hostesses and they welcome participation, just please remember to be respectful when sharing your opinions.

Hot Topics-Government/Social Studies:

Mr. Cate has some opinions about Obama's address to the nation, is it indoctrination?

Curt, from Save Money Homeschooling has concerns about teens falling from their faith in the public school.

Tiffany at As For My House, gives us a video about the Lego ban against small children in a public school. How much more control could you possibly get over a small child's life than to ban them from Legos? They're just kids for crying out loud. :/

Right here at The HomeSpun Life I've opened the discussion topic about our US currency. Should Christians be concerned about taking the national motto off the coins? And what about the slaves? Do you believe they should be set free?

This is my personal friend, SarahMae, who has decided she will be homeschooling her little one. She blogs at Like a Warm Cup of Coffee and is currently hostessing a huge discussion about Obama speaking to the children of our nation. Is it really a big deal? (Caution, this one is very hot!) Keep an eye out for upcoming discussions at SarahMae's blog that were inspired by this long conversation.

I hope you've had fun with this session of the homeschool carnival. You can host an upcoming carnival by contacting the Cate Family at Why Homeschool. Be sure to check their blog for upcoming carnivals and get your submissions sent in. Be sure to Tweet about this carnival using the hashtag #homeschool so other homeschoolers can get involved.

And now that you've held out to the end I'm offering a giveaway for one of our lucky blessed delegates. I'm giving away 3 copies of my Ebook 'Prelude to a Blog' It's a basic guide for a loving parent who wants to help their youngster started with a blog with some tips on how to get it set up, to how to avoid cyber bullies. Here's a few ways you can get entered:

-Announce this edition of the Homeschool Carnival on your blog.
-Tweet about this carnival using these 2 hashtags: #homeschool #HSPL
-Announce this Session of the homeschool carnival on your Facebook page IN A NOTE and TAG your homeschool friends.
-Reply below to let me know which options you chose to get entered.

Winners will be announced next Sunday night. :O)





The HomeSpun Life

↑ Grab this Headline Animator



29 kind words:

Amanda September 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

Wow! I'm so excited to click through and read after all these amazing topics. Thanks so much!

Theresa September 8, 2009 at 4:32 AM  

Great job Sisterlisa! I love the "conference" theme. :o)

Mrs. White September 8, 2009 at 5:13 AM  

You've done an excellent job hosting this! Thank you!

Blessings
Mrs. White in Vermont
at The Legacy of Home

Debbie September 8, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

Came to check and see if my post got in ok. You did a great job hosting.

I will have to grab a drink and a snack after I get done homeschooling for the day and come back and check out all the other posts.

Ruby in Montreal September 8, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

Great job! I love the coffee bar :)

The conference theme is fun, considering so many of us are getting started back to homeschooling right about now.

Cheers!
Ruby

Weird Unsocialized Mom September 8, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

Great carnival...and I love the theme. Very fun! Thanks for your kind comment on my post. It was very encouraging.

Off to tweet about the carnival...

Jen September 8, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

Thank you for setting this up, my first homeschool carnival :) my homeschool blog is: http://mimzywood.blogspot.com

Sinclair September 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

Wonderful! I found you from Twitter through @FollowMyJourney. So happy to read through all these links and information. Thank you. Subscribed and adding you to my blogroll as well.

Rana September 8, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

This looks like a great Carnival I can't wait to read these posts. I put you on my blog.

http://freetolearnanlovinit.blogspot.com/2009/09/carnival-of-homeschooling-is-up.html

Bleu September 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

What a fabulous Carnival theme! I've been anxiously awaiting the end of the day so I can sit down and read this week's entries. Thanks for your hard work putting this together. :)

Lynda September 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

Great job...I love reading all the ideas!

Thanks
Lynda

Tami September 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

i blogged about this http://agodlyhomemaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/homeschooling-conference.html

Tami September 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

i tweeted RT current #homeschool carnival #homeschool carnival at #HSPL http://bit.ly/7G4dP Virtual Blog Conference

this is so great!!

Jimmie September 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

Well, we are Back to School! What great posts this week! Lots of practical tips. I love those.

Alasandra September 9, 2009 at 3:50 AM  

Looking forward to reading the post.

kat September 9, 2009 at 4:01 AM  

No biggie, but could you fix the link to my post? The title of the blog is swapped with the post title. It should be Katherine of No fighting, no biting! (while it is chaotic around here, it isn't all the time;)

Homeschool Dawn September 9, 2009 at 6:26 AM  

Thank you so much for hosting this and including a my post. Thanks for your encouragement, too. You've done a great job!

"Your Homeschool Connection" September 9, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

This is fantastic. I've just posted a link to it on my blog: http://www.yourhomeschoolconnection.blogspot.com.

Jacquie September 9, 2009 at 6:54 AM  

Thank you for putting this together for homeschoolers SisterLisa. What a wonderful resource. I'll be adding you to my blog (www.teachingcollection.com) as well. May God bless you and all you do.

Sisterlisa September 9, 2009 at 6:58 AM  

Sure thing Kat. Thank you so much for pointing that out. I had a lot of links to coordinate. ;O) Thank you for your patience with me.

5kidsandadog September 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

I'll be there! I can't wait to read all of the great posts.

5kidsandadog September 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

Whoops! And I forgot to tell you I posted it on my blog and I tweeted it! :D

MiaZagora September 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

Great conference!

I'm here, and I posted about it on my blog!

Sarah Homeschooler September 9, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

Wow, I was hooked after I saw the topics for the first session. I look forward to all the info and advice here!

Fruitful Vine2 September 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

Wow! This is great! I'm so thankful that Tami over at A Godly Homemaker posted about this conference on her blog. I'm going to bookmark and add this page to my stumbleupon favorites and go through each of the links over the next few days.

Amber September 10, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Yay, I enjoy these carnivals! Thanks for hosting!

Cassie September 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

This is my first time ever participating in something like this and I'm really excited!! Thanks for hosting :)

Wendy September 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

I've never psrticipated in a homeschool carnival. I'm looking forward to learning all I can!

Sisterlisa September 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Ladies, the winners to the Ebook giveaway have been posted.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP