All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Did Legos Join the Conspiracy?

It seems to me that more often than not, I am finding Legos in premade sets with instructions on how to build what they want you to build. Ok yes, the Star Wars ships are amazing. And after my son builds the intended structure, he then takes it all apart and mixes all the parts in with the other box of variety pieces he has and begins to build his very own structure from his own imagination. I am glad he has an imagination and a gift for building, he may be an engineer or contractor of some kind some day.

  • I just wondered if Legos has joined the public school conspiracy to make our kids robots to do their bidding?
  • Do your children prefer to only build what Legos says they should?
  • OR do they use their imaginations too?
  • Do you take pictures of what your kids build on their own?



The HomeSpun Life



5 kind words:

Jennifer Sikora November 25, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

I always encourage my kids to go beyond what the package says to do. We use our minds to think up ways to make their design better, or to change it completely and YES! we take lots of pictures of their creations!

We love LEGOS!!

Thanks for this post :)

dianne - bunny trails November 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

Why do you find it a conspiracy? I think most kids build what was intended by following instructions (which I doubt you could do without). Then like you said, they dismantle it, mix them all up, and make whatever they want.

With the instructions, they're able to gain ideas and insight they might not have otherwise and then they can apply that to future projects. I think it's enhances their learning.

There are some items that they build as designed and then leave that way, but it's rare.

Sometimes I take pix, but not always. I love that Legos are such a big part of my boys' lives, and have been for many, many years. They're played with them for probably 12-13 years. Definitely a good investment. :D

Sisterlisa November 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

I should be taking pictures of EVERYTHING Timmy makes. He's a 7 yr old Lego genius.

Dianne, It was just a thought like how the public schools focus on making kids memorize for exams, rather than really allowing them to create from within their own imaginations. But I agree with you, once they can put together the item with their instructions it gives them a better idea of how to create on their own.

My daughter, when she was his age, put put together puzzles. Then take them apart and put them back together BACKWARD with the brown cardboard side facing up. :P

Anonymous,  November 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

Lego my Eggo!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP