All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey Day

Table Setting by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere

Is there such a thing? Don't we all massacre ourselves with indulgences every November on Thanksgiving? No matter how healthy I try to make our dinner, we still eat more than our share, but it's SO good. can you blame me for needing a nap while my daughters clean the kitchen? I'm exhausted after cooking from 7am til 2pm. Our kitchen is very small. The sink is even smaller. The pot that we boil our potatoes in doesn't even fit in the sink. Sometimes I feel like washing the pots and pans in the tub, there's more space there. :P

The turkey was coated in unsalted butter, then sprinkled with a mixture of Italian Seasoning, sage, Rosemary and Lemon herbs. We then covered it in bacon so as it bakes the bacon basted the turkey for us. When the turkey was done, we reserved the bacon for the green bean casserole.

We used fresh green beans, boiled til on the verge of tender but still crisp, then drain. Toss them with sliced almonds, the bacon bits and 1/8 c. unsalted butter. Lightly salt them.

The yams we made were great. I cut them and boiled them til the peels came off with ease. We'll never peel potatoes the old fashioned way ever again. Then placed them in a casserole dish and covered them with 1/2 c. unsalted butter, sliced. In a separate bowl I combined 1 c. pecan halves, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 Tbsp cinnamon, 1/8 c. unsalted butter, then poured that mixture over the yams. We baked it til cooked then added the marshmallows til golden brown.

We make our own stuffing every year too. With wheat bread, Italian Seasoning, sauteed sweet onions and celery with unsalted butter. (We made two bowls. One had golden raisins, one didn't.)Toss it all together and slowly drip the broth as you keep tossing. Don't let it get soggy. The broth we used is from boiling the neck and inner parts of the turkey. Those parts we made a special dinner with. For Lady. But she preferred the breat of the turkey. Finicky! (We heated up the raisins in a container of water in the microwave for 1 minute so they'd be plump)

We heated up wheat dinner rolls that we got from the bakery. What? You thought I made everything from scratch? Are you nuts? There's no way I could have pulled that off in this tiny kitchen.

I cheated one more step, we bought the pie. :P

I apologize for not having exact recipes. We rarely use recipes. We just throw in what sounds good.






The HomeSpun Life







0 kind words:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP