All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Decorating

Every year my children choose to decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. This year we waited a few extra days past that, but it's finally done. And I didn't have to lift a finger! I am so relieved that my daughters are old enough to handle some of the work around here. Each year we become less interested in the paganism and materialism of Christmas. The way our culture has defined and redefined December is overwhelming. I am leaning more on the side of wanting nothing to do with any of it. The hustling of buying, buying, buying has left my stomach in knots trying to keep up with the Jones'. I don't want to keep up with that anymore. We volunteer with Toys for Tots and do that shopping, but that's it for me.

I'm tired of the condemnation I have felt over the years if I didn't get a gift for everyone who gave one to me. I am tired of printing more cards as more flood my mailbox. I just can't keep up with it all. My husband will probably ask me to do cards again and I'll beg him to allow me to send e-cards instead. :P Tacky? Impersonal? Try shopping for over a thousand low income children and monitor over 50 drop boxes, count all those toys, and try to keep up with the laundry and see if you want to address over 100 cards again. :P

I'm not meaning to complain, really I'm not. I'm just tired. Can't December just be what we individually want it to be? Can't we just get snowed in and stay home from all the busyness of life? I'd like that. I'd like that a lot. I just need to be sure to have plenty of coffee and cocoa to keep us warm.

Photo by Silent Fury

 
So, yes, my daughters decorated. Lots of lights. I like the lights. Yes, we have a tree. Are decorating trees pagan? If you say so, but that's your home and this is mine. It's pretty. It brings back memories of home. And we don't bow down and worship it. Am I justifying having a tree? Well,... are you justifying judging me because I have one?

It's decorated in red, white, and blue. I smile as I look upon each and every ornament that we have collected over the years. They are shiny and remind me of the sacrifices made by our troops over the years. We plug in the lights every morning and keep it on all day while we are home.

I won't judge you for not having one, so don't judge me for having one. By the way, it's a Martha Stewart tree. Does that bother you too? My mom doesn't like Martha Stewart. I have no idea why, she just doesn't. I don't like what Martha did a few years ago, but you know what? She rose above all the criticism and is still making more money than any of us are. :P And she's talented. I like her decor.

Have you decorated yet?
Have you been a victim of pressure about the paganism of Christmas?
Will you be sending out cards this year?




The HomeSpun Life



1 kind words:

Devildogwife December 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

We do what we want to do for Christmas. Sometimes that means that no Christmas cards get sent out. (We will be sending out cards this year because we need to do the whole "we moved" thing and get out family pictures.) We have gone the route of ecards before and no one really seemed to mind.

I really enjoy the our Christmas tree and the lights and the ornaments. The ornaments bring back so many good memories (and a few sad).

Over the years, we've moved away from having Santa decorations to using more wintery decorations (such as snowmen), but we still have fun watching "Santa" movies.

I don't think people realize how much work goes into Toys for Tots. I know that I didn't give it much thought until my hubby was helping out one year. We had always participated, but it wasn't until that year that we had a full appreciation for all the behind the scenes work.

There is a lot to be said for a quiet, peaceful December. We had that last year since I was recovering from surgery. It was nice to HAVE to slow down and really enjoy family.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP