All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Holiday Debates

Interesting how the holiday traditions are under constant debate. It's either a debate in the schools, the stores, and on the blogs too. I got an email from a family advocacy newsletter campaign about the new Gap commercials and an adamant proclamation to boycott their stores, including Old Navy, for their lack of pro-Christ in Christmas ad campaigns. Below are the two Gap commercials and it is very clear to see that they are trying to accomodate as many cultures and beliefs as possible.



This one isn't really about the holidays, but was fun to watch anyway. ;O)




There are times when I believe we can do what we can to let the retailers know how we feel about their advertisements, but sometimes I think we go just way too far. Here are some thoughts that went through my mind. If we don't want someone telling us what to teach our children at home, persecute the religious kids in the public schools, or prohibit us from saying Merry Christmas at work, then why would we force these companies or schools to do the very same thing we don't want them doing to us?

So the school doesn't want Santa, Christmas, or even candy canes. Then why have a gift giving program? Isn't that all a part of Christmas anyway? Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Winter Solstice, it's really become a holiday of culture more than any specific religion. Do they really want to make a big debate over it? I think perhaps they should let the debate teams go at it. The origin is pagan anyway, so why get bent out of shape if they want to apply a fat old man in a red suit, a manger scene, or a yule tide log? People are going to celebrate in whatever way they choose to and none of us have any right to enforce one version or another of the December holidays upon another.

I also think it's petty to coerce people into adding it or removing it from their campaigns. Isn't that a form of persecution?

What are your thoughts about the school foregoing certain aspects of the holidays?

Related Articles:
Holidays at AGMinistries
Decorating at The HomeSpun Life





The HomeSpun Life





15 kind words:

Ali December 7, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

These commercials really irk us. I think that it's all just part of the world wanting to do away with God. The public schools are a big one. They want to get rid of God completely. I am so glad that we homeschool!

I was just reading your past posts, and I am SO sorry that you had to deal with Blog-O-Meanies. I have dealt with a blog meanie in the past (they even said they were believers), and have seen blog meanies destroy or hurt other believers, and give them a bad name.

John 13:35 says "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another"

It really hurts a person's witness when they do things that are un loving to fellow believers.

Blessings to you and your family,

Ali
My God Given Mission Field

MarshaMarshaMarsha December 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

I think I will have to give this some more thought.

Thanks for your comment on my blog about fighting for joy. There are many tears shed before I post about this journey through grief, but after... well, after is always a time of peace for me. It's as if God burdens my heart and when I write it all out, I have peace and am comforted.

Thanks for being my friend. You bless me.

Pebblekeeper, Angie Wright December 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

Love the two holiday posts I've read, and I totally agree! My whole mission in life, (well, um not the WHOLE mission) is to teach my kids not to be swayed by a 30 second commercial. So Bring Em On. And when did we as followers of Christ hand over our media marketing to the stores that most of us don't even shop in anyway? When did it become the Marketer's job to market Christ. Seems like He went through alot of trouble to send the Holy Spirit to call all men unto Himself. And I'm thinking, that a commercial during sweeps isn't going to help Him out. :) Just sayin. :) Keep up your truth and joy!

Sisterlisa December 11, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

Marsha, I know what you mean. I feel better after blogging too. and knowing something I write during my pain is somehow encouraging to others, is like chicken soup for my soul. ;O)

Sisterlisa December 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

Thanks, Angie. Yes I think we all need to take a step back and re-think what we're actually doing to the world with our mass demanding of people adding Christ to their celebrations. Even if we force them, by persuasion, coercion, or persecution, it doesn't mean that are doing it for reasons that please God. In a sense...we are forcing them to take God's name in Vain by taking on His name when it means nothing to them. (or very little if anything)

Dana December 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

This is an interesting point & perspective that I had not thought about.

As much as I hate the commercialization of Christmas, I am only responsible for what I lead my family in. We teach the biblical truths that come with remembering the life of Christ. We do buy a few gifts, decorate our house & put up a tree. These have all become December traditions for us. If someone say's "Happy Holiday's" we answer back, "Merry Christmas" & don't make a big deal about it as long as they don't get in our face about saying Merry Christmas (which no one has). We don't boycott stores who say holiday instead of Christmas. I figured, it is their store, let them do what they want. I don't have to shop there if I don't want to.
We try to mind our own business & share the gospel when the Holy Spirit gives us that opportunity.

I am not saying I don't care what is going on around me, I'm just saying that I have never felt that it is my family's responsibility to change the someone else celebrates Christmas. We can influence in grace and let the Holy Spirit do what He does best...work in the hearts & minds of others.

Sisterlisa December 13, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

Thanks, Dana. I think the pro-Christian agenda has gone too far in recent years. It makes me sad because I see so many people that are turned off by the modern version of Christianity. :O(

Dana December 14, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

I was thinking more about this this morning then I saw a quote on FB that reflect's my thoughts well.

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be. ~Thomas à Kempis

I cannot expect someone who does not know the Lord as their Savior & Lord to make decisions that one who does would make.

I cannot expect a business owner who is not a Christian to understand why it is important to Christians to focus on Christ & not the materialistic way of celebrating Christmas. Of course they say "Happy Holidays". They are trying to please all people where we Christians know we are only to please God.

Sisterlisa December 14, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

That's good, Dana. Thank you. I think that we, Christians, need to just take a step back sometimes and re-think things through. There are leaders in this nation that are so politically charged that they pull together us conservatives and get us to go over board on some things that we really don't need to.

Karen December 20, 2009 at 5:33 AM  

The commercials and the government school's stand are not surprising, however they are an indication of the spiritual state of our nation, and should certainly be seen as a call to prayer. Things seem to be going downhill faster than I can ever remember, but as long as there are still a few faithful ones who have not bent the knee to the gods of the world, there is still hope for God's mercy!

Sisterlisa December 20, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

I agree with you Karen. It sure is going downhill fast isn't it?

Just a lass hiking with Jesus December 26, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

Why do people keep expecting Godless companies to act Christlike? It is not like Gap ever said they were a Christian company. Neither did Best Buy... I got an email to boycott that one too! Ugh. Don't shop there much anyway ... but PLEASE!!! You are right, instead of judging the lost why are we not doing more to witness to them? blasting them is NOT GOING TO WIN THEM!!

Michelle December 27, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

Hi SisterLisa,

This is my first visit to your blog and I'm really enjoying it. I wrote an article about that on my blog a year ago about expecting unbelievers at stores to act like believers and wish us a Merry Christmas.

Even though I am very conservative,
it is perplexing to me as the light has nothing to do with the darkness.

Great post! I'll be visiting again soon.

Love in Christ,

Michelle

Sisterlisa December 28, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

Thank you Michelle. I see many Christians today behaving like the Pharisees of Jesus' time.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP