All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

US Census is Racist?

**CAUTION** Major rant proceed with caution.

I got the US Census today. I looked and GASPED! Oh no they didn't! Who comes up with these questions? Our nation fought and fought HARD to give freedom to ALL Americans, then we had to watch them fight again for voting rights. Next we fighting for educational and employment equality. We FINALLY have a President of a different nationality and the US Census has the NERVE to ask. First if all, I am a natural born American of MANY nationalities, so at this point the only race I am is human. Second of all, I support any race being able to be president (their race has nothing to do with whether or not I vote for them).

SO WHY IN THE WORLD did the US Census Bureau approve the top 2 questions on the Census?
First choice: White
Second choice: Black, African Am., Negro

So, first of all, white is NOT a race! And why name that one first? Second of all, black is not a race. Thirdly, Not all dark skin humans are African. Don't even ask me what I think of using the N word. Some don't think it's a big deal to say that, but I DO!

When I was in the seventh grade, the school decided to do an experiment without us knowing. When we arrived at school (the week of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day) there were signs all over the room. Those with blond hair could not drink from the fountain, look in the mirror and all our 'blond' desks were moved to the back of the room. I was appalled. As a seventh grader I thought these teachers were nuts. I literally thought to myself, "This is not a very nice way to celebrate Rev. King Jr.'s day. Did these teachers not learn from all that?" But we had to 'play along'. So the first thing we had to do was wait for all the brunettes to decide if the only read headed girl was considered blond or not. They voted her in with the brunettes. So then the next thing we decided to do was boycott. So we left class. And they let us. Then we started telling everyone what they were doing and started speaking out during class breaks and lunch recess. It got out of hand. Some of the kids started teasing us, then bullying us. The teachers did nothing about it. Then I got angry and I yelled at my teacher for not helping and told him I thought it was getting out of hand.

I was sent to the principal's office. Yep, just me. I sat there waiting for him to enter the office. I sat there staring at the spanking paddle. (yes, they had one back then) I thought, "There is no way that man will get that paddle on my rear end." He entered the room quietly and asked me what was going on. So I told him everything. He agreed that it had gotten out of control and he announced to the class that the experiment was over. The next class we had was Geography and when we walked in... there was the film projector. We sat down and they played Rev. King Jr.'s footage. I sat there holding back the tears. I had already known about the history of our nation and the unfair treatment of the people. The class was silent during the film. It was an experience I will never forget. I don't know if it impacted the rest of the class like it did me, but I know that my belief in equality was grounded even deeper that day.

So after all the fighting in this nation, numerous statues and streets name ofter Rev. King Jr. and Rosa Parks then why in the WORLD does our US Census Bureau seek to FURTHER classify the American people by race? Have we not learned ANYTHING?

Who created this form anyway? Was the panel racist?

According to our Constitutional rights we ONLY have to give them a headcount. They can NOT fine you for not filling out the rest. You do NOT have to put your name, birthdate, or signature anywhere on the form. They do NOT ask for any verification of who you are, or where you live. You can voluntarily tell them, but you do not HAVE to tell them. They only need the headcount in order to appoint a number of representatives in state. Even that part doesn't make sense to me since my four kids aren't voting age.

People say, "O but don't you know they can use that info to send your state and county funds to help your communities?" To which I say, "O so the race of the people is a deciding factor in those funds?" WHAT DID OUR FOREFATHERS FIGHT FOR? What did Rev. King Jr. and Rosa Parks (and MANY others) go through to only end up with THIS? Why does the US Census Bureau want to know what race we are? What is the purpose? Does it have anything to do with money? Do they only give money based on our race?

Don't throw that 'statistics' excuse at me. Statistics?!? For what? You want to count how many different races represent crime? Do you know WHY this matters? Because race is STILL a factor in equality! When is America going to GROW UP? People become criminals because it's who they are, not because of their race!
 
Stop trying to 'prove' otherwise, you only continue to divide our nation!

Geez do these people NOT study history? How many nations have to go through major upheavel, deaths, imprisonment, riots, etc before we can all live that dream?




The HomeSpun Life




10 kind words:

Brenna March 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

Lisa, normally I just love your posts, but today we have to respectfully disagree. Please don't encourage your readers not to fully fill out the Census forms. You're right, they can't fine you, but it will cost our gov't (READ U.S. taxpayers) millions of dollars to follow-up with those who don't complete the information. I don't think anyone wants to encourage more spending of money we don't have. And unfortunately, like it or not, our gov't still acknowledges that there is a racial difference between black and white. We may not agree with it, but this is still how they are conducting business. I filled out my form completely. The way in which they use the census data are numerous. We may not like some, but others are useful and helpful to us as taxpayers and citizens.

Still love your blog. :)

Sisterlisa March 17, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Thank you for replying Brenna. I did say that they can VOLUNTARILY fill it out, but that they have the freedom not to. Only a head count is required by law. If they want more info they'd have to ask in a way that does not infringe on our rights. And Acorn is involved with this Census and I do NOT trust those people at all. Keep in mind as well that the info from the Census has been hacked by a former president to place the Japanese into internment camps AGAINST their will... Rep. Michelle Bachmann said this:

"Take this into consideration. If we look at American history, between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the Census Bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations at the request of President Roosevelt, and that's how the Japanese were rounded up and put into the internment camps," said Bachmann. "I'm not saying that that's what the Administration is planning to do, but I am saying that private personal information that was given to the Census Bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up, in a violation of their constitutional rights, and put the Japanese in internment camps."

Another thing to consider is our privacy rights. If a foreign country can SUCCESSFULLY hack our nation's security system, then think of what our nation's enemies could do to us. And as this nation is headed toward a NWO I do NOT want them having personal information about me that communism can get their evil hand son to do what they want with me and my family. The US Census does not give us ANY amount of Legal protection if that info was retrieved and used against us.

Race does NOT matter. Period. So they don't need to know that. If they pay someone to go to half the doors in America it won't exceed the cost they are putting into the health care bill that is also against our rights.

Our nation has bowed to the govt for far too long. How much longer shall we bow down before it becomes a communist nation? My great grandfather would roll in his grave if he knew what was going on in this nation today.

Anyway, I'm glad you like my blog. I wasn't aware that you were a reader. I did let the readers know that they can still choose to fill it out, but voluntarily.

Here's the other info you might want to see: http://www.thehomespunlife.com/search/label/Census%202010

Another important video about the Census: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k

Brenna March 17, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

Good points, Lisa. And I won't even get started on health care. :)

We can agree to disagree. Unfortunately, race does matter. In a perfect world, someday, maybe not. But it still matters in 2010 in the U.S. Sad but true. And if that's how certain funding is decided, I would want to comply.

Thanks for the links. Have a great week!

Karen March 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Hi, I found you because you're hosting the carnival of homeschooling next week, I'm looking forward to it!

I wanted to say how moving it was to read about your 7th-grade experience... made me think of an experiment that a 4th-grade class in the, I think, 60's did, that I've seen a documentary of.

The teacher split all the children up by eye color, brown eyes vs. blue/green/gray eyes, and each had the upper hand for a week. Bullying, fist-fighting, tears, and everything else ensued, as you describe - and when these students were interviewed years later, as adults, it was clear that this experience had a profound influence over their whole lives, helping them to understand what it is like to be both the powerful, and the powerless.

Thanks for this post!

Lady M March 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Thank you Sister Lisa for this entry.

I did not fully fill mine out the last time and NO ONE ever contacted me for the missing information.

I am just as offended that they need information on what color my families skin is and need to classify us as such. We have friends that have children of varying skin tones and the father is dark, the mother is as pale as I. What is their "race" outside of human?

My background is "Heinz 57" - a variety of ancestry from all over Europe And Native. Gee - my sister & I happen to have the pale Scotch-Irish skin (we sunburn quite nicely), but my brother (same mom & dad) gets beautifully dark brown (the Native in us). Soooo - we are "white" and he is what?

What extra benefits do our states, etc. get for having such and such % of people with varying skin tones.

I am sorry, but I agree with Sister Lisa. The race questions are quite divisive and should have never been asked. And the long form is much, much worse and much more invasive.

SG123 March 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Wow, very well-written. I wish it was on Facebook so that I could become a fan of it. :D

Alasandra April 1, 2010 at 3:37 AM  

You make a valid point.

A lot of minorities want them to ask for the racial background of people though. Down here in the South they use it to draw district lines. The thinking being if all the African Americans or in one district they will have more voting power then if they are split up among mainly white districts.

Maybe one day we will live in a world where the color of ones skin and ones beliefs don't matter and we can all find common ground and get along.

Sisterlisa April 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Sigh*** I look forward to such a day as well, Alasandra.

Carol J. Alexander April 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

Hi Lisa,
I found your blog from the Carnival and spotted this post. I want to throw another twist to the whole census issue.
I have been researching my family history for 15 years. Maybe you won't understand this drive, but I REALLY want to know the answers to my questions.
My father was illegitimate, then orphaned, and then bounced around foster parents and relatives.
He always told us he was Italian. But on his military records he wrote in that he was Native American. (I don't think he really knew.) When I started my research, of course I was using census records. It was those census records that verified the race question for me. It was also those census records that confirmed some dates of birth and other family members for me and helped me trace my family from SC to DC.
I, for one, am thankful my ancestors chose to answer more than the number count on their questionnaire.
Now that I have that off my chest, I'll continue looking over your site because, honestly, it looks quite inviting. :)
Blessings,
Carol

Anonymous,  May 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

After the 1990 Census, our vastly predominately white Republican county was lumped into the 3rd district in VA. The district includes mostly cities which have a large black Democratic voting populous. Bobby Scott, another career politician, will be our Congressman until death or another "black" Democrat comes along! I have no representation because of my race. The Census Bureau's organization of districts by race is so unconstitutional it's unbelievable! It's federally mandated reverse racism. According to the Constitution, the census can only legally ask how many live in a household. They can't ask for your race, much less, structure voting districts based on race. But, that is exactly what they are doing! No wonder Obama wanted complete control of the Census.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP