All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, August 13, 2010

Google Calendar

I was recently asked to explain what I mean by 'Organic Homeschooling'. That's when I realized I don't often say much about it other than my initial post. So I am committing myself to share more about this style of education. After one year of readjusting from traditional school, we spent about a semester trying to home educate by the traditional school's cookie cutter approach. It wasn't cutting it. (pun intended)

mjlaptop by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere

It took a few more years before we could have our two teen girls have laptops and the other two children have desktop computers. Having computers greatly reduces the amount of paper and pencils needed for school work. There's a new charter school in our area that has seen the value in that as well and they are going green by using iPads.

Their agenda sounds so much like homeschool that I am beginning to think the public system is catching on to how beneficial it is to offer kids more freedom in how they learn.

When we began homeschooling I was asked what style of homeschooling we had and I sided more with eclectic, because I had curriculum from various publishers, but over time a lot of those textbooks phased out. I was discovering just how much education is available online for free or very low cost. This works out great for our family and we save a lot of money.

Our days don't have a strict schedule, although there are topics I make sure are covered on a  daily basis. I have found, that for my family, we do best with a flexible schedule. As a matter of fact I don't even like the word 'schedule'. Even 'routine' is a bit more boxed in that how we really live.

One thing we incorporated into our education this year is Google Calendar. I set up a calendar especially for my two teen daughters. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Google Calendar automatically synced with my Droid..I found this out when I opened my calendar to find my Google Calender already in there with all the information I had put on it while on my laptop. I set each day to have a reminder so my daughters get an email every morning with their daily assignments. We no longer need to purchase a calendar for our wall. This is actually nice too, because my husband appreciates it when I don't put more holes in the wall.

We'll begin the school year for my two youngest on Monday and use the Google Calendar for them as well. I'll set an alert for a reminder to ring my phone so I don't get sidetracked each day. Although I'm using this for my 'routine', we are still a flexible family and plans can change at a moments notice. But I can easily rearrange the schedule from my Droid or my laptop.

In what ways do you try to keep your homeschooling green?

signature by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere


The HomeSpun Life







4 kind words:

Helen Hanson August 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Hi, I over from the challenge to offer kind words. I'm a homeschool mama too. Mine has been with me from the beginning. We have days that we lock horns, but what a privilege it's been to share this time with my son. Amen, Sister Lisa!

Rachel C. August 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM  

Although I have no children of my own, I can certainly relate to the awe of discovering just how much educational information is available on the internet. Plus, you make it sound so easy!

Michelle August 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM  

Computers make homeschooling so easy! We have two that we use, and should be getting a third very soon. We use very little paper during the school year, which is great, and we try to use very little printed paper as well. Unless it's really necessary to use a paper for a project or assignment, we skip it altogether. ;)

Michelle @ greenearthbazaar.com

Jacqui August 13, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

very cool blog! Thanks for stopping by mine too:)!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP