All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Visual Multiplication

We originally got these colorful glass beads because of a method of homeschooling math that I found on Elizabeth's homeschool blog a few years ago. My daughter loved this so much that we have kept the glass beads and we continue to use them as manipulatives for learning Math.

As Gina is working on her multiplication, she knows that 7 more beads is the next answer in her 7's times tables. We use 3 of blue and 4 of green to make 7. The visual of the colors helps immensely.  My daughter's learning style with Math requires as much detailed visuals as possible. It's how she remembers HOW to do the problems. I don't want her simply memorizing her multiplication tables, I want her to be able to know how to compute them.

math by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere

We got these fun little baskets, just like Elizabeth did. We got all these supplies at Michael's Craft store for about $10. Using these fun and colorful craft supplies makes it fun for Gina and helps her to visually remember this method as she comes across the need to use multiplication in her everyday living.

math2 by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere



signature by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere
Link up Get Related to The HomeSpun Life
My Royalty Free Shared Photos
Free Ebook for Subscribers





2 kind words:

Honey November 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

I love that you shared this post. It is always important to try different things with our kids. Not everyone learns the same and once you find a child's learning style it can make things a lot easier.

Blessings
Honey

Sisterlisa November 4, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

Thank you, Honey. I just never saw any sense in forcing my kids to do any subject the way I learned it in school. And I don't make them 'perform' by a certain age either. I keep introducing different ways of learning to them and when their interest is piqued, they dive right in. I have another article about Gina's education coming soon. She surprised the dickens out of me this week.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP