All photos on my blog are under copyright protection by either me or my friends at
Pix-O-Sphere.
Please do not take them from my blog. If you'd like to connect with me over there, then you will have access to my album. Thank you kindly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, February 24, 2011

5 Reasons Why Your Blog Might be Superficial

Have you ever thought your blog might be superficial? Why do bloggers want an audience? The rat race for followers, subscribers, and hit count can drag you down to blog hell trying to create something out of nothing. Blogging doesn't have to be that hard. If we treat our blogs like the hierarchy number chasers in religion, we'll quickly end up just like them. Tired, over worked, and of no substance at all. No one can survive in a superficial community.
playing girls by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere
1. Why do you want an audience? Are you looking for a limelight for yourself? If you are, you will be creating a superficial audience that you'll have to keep performing for or you'll lose readers. Do you really want that kind of an audience?

2. A good blog audience is built on genuine relationships. Therefore you need to be yourself. Don't try to knock yourself out trying to be Martha Stewart or The Pioneer Woman. It doesn't work. Everyone will know you're a copycat. It's best to just be yourself. If you're working hard to be like 'mega stepford blogger' you'll never be number one, you'll only be a short changed second place.

3. Conquer your fears. If you're always afraid to blog how you really feel, what you really believe, or what your real opinions are, then you are held captive by peer pressure. I'm not suggesting you start using foul language or to be rude, we certainly can tame our tongues and season our words with salt, but you certainly don't have to fake being a sugar cookie if you're really a red velvet cake with buttery cream cheese frosting.

4. You don't know your identity. Some bloggers don't know who they are. This is why so many are trying to copy everyone else. What is unique about YOU.  If you don't know, ask the people you know in real life. Go to Wordle and add the URL of your blog in there. Find out what you blog about most often. The word cloud will show what your passions are. Your passions come from the heart. When we copy what others are doing we're just trying to recreate their hearts on on our blogs. Be you. Be original. This is my word cloud for The HomeSpun Life. The largest words are the things I blogged about most this week. You can enter the category URL you write most about too. For example, if your most filled category is "daily life" then get that category URL and put it in the Wordle tool.
wordcloud by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere


5. Be friendly. I can't say this enough. Reply to people you like on Twitter. Participate in your blog comment section. Be genuine. Don't try to butter people up with an agenda to piggy back their audience. Find your own 'place' in the blogosphere and own your place. You'll want readers who really like you for you. To have friends, one must first show friendliness. 

Any additional thoughts to share?
Related articles:



signature by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere
Link up Get Related to The HomeSpun Life
My Royalty Free Shared Photos



Photo hosting, photo sharing, stock photos, Family Friendly Photo Community on Pix-O-Sphere

2 kind words:

TerriG February 24, 2011 at 5:36 AM  

What a fun gadget! Thanks for the blogging advice. I still consider myself a rookie at one year. There is so much to learn.

Joy February 24, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

I really enjoyed this post. Thank you for sharing about Wordle. I entered mine and I am so glad I did. The biggest/largest word was God! That is what I want to share the most, is about God! It truly made my day. I have been pondering if my writing was really worth it. I had been praying to God and asking Him if I should continue on with my blog. I now feel like I have His answer. Thank you so much!!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP